PDA

View Full Version : I received a box of 17WSM today...

Pages : 1 [2]

plinkin
07-04-2013, 12:30 AM
Dicks Sporting Goods in my area has them, regular price is $349. don't know about the ammo.

Dick's Sporting Goods in Erie, PA received 1 B.Mag on July 3rd and they sold it the same day. :rolleyes: I bet someone knows a manager there... :cool:

Monkeymaster
07-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Depends on the manager,
I have ordered Stevens 200 from them in the past and one Dicks store gun manager was very helpful, another in a town 80 miles away did not have a clue as to what I was asking, or simply did not want to deal with me and ordering a gun.
His attitude was what ever was in the store, was what he would sell, he did not want to click a key pad or pick up the phone.
I inquired about the B mag from the good manager Dicks for the last 2 months.
He could not order one because they were not in the corporate data base, warehouse ect, for him to order.
I had a gun store put a request in to their distributer, I have a B mag in the safe ready for ammo when ever the H_ll that is?
I have since called the good manager and politly told him I had bought a B mag, and he could take me off the order list.
Customer service.
Now, if they could just get some ammunition in.

Monkeymaster
07-04-2013, 10:49 AM
Also,
No problem with people bidding what ever they want to purchase something, it is capitalism.
I am however very frustrated, that there are stores and shops that have the 17 wsm, yet the bigger guy's like Cabelas, Midway, Bass Pro,and Natchez, do not have any to ship out, or will not ship it out.
I tend to think, that they DO have the ammo in their warehouse, they are just not releasing it yet.
I simply can not believe, that Winchester will sell its ammunition to these smaller, less known stores/shops before the bigger retailers.
Look, I called several Bass Pro shops in the midwest, they all had some 17 wsm to put on their shelves in the store, yet they would not sell it to me over the phone, and or ship it to me, I had to be lucky enough to live by their store and or walk into one.
So, Bass Pro has the ammunition, they are just not releasing it to on line, or phone orders.
That is the frustrating part.
Scheels also stated they had some on the shelves, but it was all sold out, and no over the phone or online sales.
I do not live next to a Scheels either.
Gotta go,
Need to do my daily rimfire ammo check with my phone for 22lr, 22 wmr, and now 17 wsm.
Wish me Luck

plinkin
07-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Depends on the manager,
I have ordered Stevens 200 from them in the past and one Dicks store gun manager was very helpful, another in a town 80 miles away did not have a clue as to what I was asking, or simply did not want to deal with me and ordering a gun.
His attitude was what ever was in the store, was what he would sell, he did not want to click a key pad or pick up the phone.
I inquired about the B mag from the good manager Dicks for the last 2 months.
He could not order one because they were not in the corporate data base, warehouse ect, for him to order.
I had a gun store put a request in to their distributor, I have a B mag in the safe ready for ammo when ever the H_ll that is?
I have since called the good manager and polity told him I had bought a B mag, and he could take me off the order list.
Customer service.
Now, if they could just get some ammunition in.

Dick's used to have a "dick's" gun warehouse now everything comes from either Gerry's or Bill Hicks. Even their exclusives. The one manager was trying to order a B.Mag for me and couldn't. Then one randomly showed up yesterday morning. Then it purposefully left around 8:30pm. Like I said, someone must know a manager :p

Downunderimfire
07-04-2013, 03:32 PM
I have been following this with interest as it will most likely be months (if not a year or more) before we even get to see OR touch either the B-mag or ammo. I did a bit of googling and came up with a couple or random numbers that "may" help put the ammo shortage in another light. If Winchester "only" had 50,000,000 rounds available, that equals 1,000,000 boxes. If every Gun Shop ordered and was given an equal share of the stock they would get ~ 20 boxes. If every Dealer ordered ammo they would only get ~ 8 boxes. Given that some people have been able to buy 8 boxes of ammo (and I would guess that a LOT of people do not post on here, have also purchased ammo) my guess is that the supply has just run out (or very low). Just a thought :)

plinkin
07-04-2013, 04:29 PM
I have been following this with interest as it will most likely be months (if not a year or more) before we even get to see OR touch either the B-mag or ammo. I did a bit of googling and came up with a couple or random numbers that "may" help put the ammo shortage in another light. If Winchester "only" had 50,000,000 rounds available, that equals 1,000,000 boxes. If every Gun Shop ordered and was given an equal share of the stock they would get ~ 20 boxes. If every Dealer ordered ammo they would only get ~ 8 boxes. Given that some people have been able to buy 8 boxes of ammo (and I would guess that a LOT of people do not post on here, have also purchased ammo) my guess is that the supply has just run out (or very low). Just a thought :)

When I spoke to a Winchester ammo technical service rep back near the end of May he told me ammo would be shipping the Tueday after Memorial Day which was May 28th. He told me they had orders for 13 million rounds. If that is all they produce this year that'll be 260 thousand boxes which would be 5200 boxes per state.

Now I am not sure how Savage in Mass serializes their rifles but I see they do begin with a letter where at the Canada rim fires do not.
Assuming like the auto industry that they would not use I & O because they can be mistaken to 1 and 0, do they build a rifle and it is A00000001 and the next is A00000002 and it can be any model in general or do specific models have an assigned serial range?

Anywho, the B.Mag that was in my hands on June 4th was H978177 and the one that is in the box in my house is J029295. Does this mean from the 1st serial there has been 51118 B.Mags produced? I'll guess and say no, that there has been 51 thousand rifles produced. If there were that many B.Mags it would be 1022 per state & only 5 boxes of ammo per own gun. That is just in the USA. I would think with that many B.Mags they would ship worldwide. So I am sure it has to be rifles produced in Mass.

Still Downunder, with only 13 million rounds that HUGE number seemed small when you crunched your numbers.

Downunderimfire
07-04-2013, 06:44 PM
At 13 million rounds spread equally thats only about 4~5 boxes per Gunshop. Stuff all.

plinkin
07-04-2013, 09:38 PM
At 13 million rounds spread equally thats only about 4~5 boxes per Gunshop. Stuff all.

Considering I have been to gun shops even a month ago that had no idea what a 17WSM is or was and the same for a B.Mag even up to a WEEK ago. We know all shops will not receive these animals.

Downunderimfire
07-04-2013, 10:00 PM
Indeed you are correct, not everyone will order it in and some retailers will have much more stock than 4~5 boxes. The idea of averaging was to give a vague idea of how small an amount 260 thousand boxes actually is when spread out :) I have also talked to a localish big gun dealer (biggest in the country) and they also knew nothing of either the round or the firearm, I put that partly on the fact that none of those who I spoke to kept up with new developments as they were floor staff who prob never get to see a rep. :)

plinkin
07-04-2013, 10:32 PM
Indeed you are correct, not everyone will order it in and some retailers will have much more stock than 4~5 boxes. The idea of averaging was to give a vague idea of how small an amount 260 thousand boxes actually is when spread out :) I have also talked to a localish big gun dealer (biggest in the country) and they also knew nothing of either the round or the firearm, I put that partly on the fact that none of those who I spoke to kept up with new developments as they were floor staff who prob never get to see a rep. :)

I totally understood the averaging idea. I tend to do that myself. :-)

plinkin
07-05-2013, 07:07 AM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/capri331/Shooting/Savage/BMag/SAM_8934_zpsb4e84f15.jpg (http://s20.photobucket.com/user/capri331/media/Shooting/Savage/BMag/SAM_8934_zpsb4e84f15.jpg.html)

Ammo, check.
Rifle, check.
Scope mounted, check.
Raining? Daggnabbit!
I might have to bore sight it anyway.