PDA

View Full Version : single shot adapter?

Pages : [1] 2

joeb33050
06-20-2013, 10:51 AM
My 12fv .223 barrel overheats with 7/IMR4227 and cast lyman 225415. I have a stock coming, plan to cut the stock off just in front of the recoil lug and bolt a stick to the bottom of the stock in the magazine area. This will give me a barrel out in the air to cool, and a stick to put on the front bag to function as the forend. I'd like to have no blind centerfeed magazine and fire it single shot; but there will be that big hole in the action where the magazine was. Is there any kind of single shot adapter thing that would fit in the action cut out? Or is it time to think about duct tape and cardboard?
Thanks;
joe b.

bootsmcguire
06-20-2013, 03:50 PM
If your action is the Centerfeed style, then you need to contact SSS and get one of their followers as they are the only ones who make one for the CF actions (as far as I know). You can also watch the classifieds here as they pop up from time to time.

Westcliffe01
06-20-2013, 08:02 PM
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?24994-Cheapest-easiest-ever-single-shot-adapter

jsthntn247
06-20-2013, 08:55 PM
Does anybody make on for a stagger feed?

Westcliffe01
06-20-2013, 09:32 PM
With a 223 it is possible that one may need to insert something on top of the aluminum sheet to raise the cartridge high enough that the tip of the bullet cleanly enters the feed ramp. I think something whittled out of some plastic tubing a similar diameter to the receiver would be easiest. Basically one is looking at plastic tube with a OD of just over an inch and probably less than 1/8" wall thickness. That would fill the space from the bottom of the receiver to the underside of the bolt head.

bootsmcguire
06-20-2013, 10:10 PM

Yup, Score Hi does. check this out:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/325484/score-high-bench-rest-single-shot-follower-savage-short-action-223-remington-aluminum

You will have to have the magazine affixed to the gun for this one to stay in place. so watch where you put your bolts and it should work great.

JW
06-21-2013, 06:44 AM
Sent you a PM

jsthntn247
06-21-2013, 09:21 AM
Yup, Score Hi does. check this out:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/325484/score-high-bench-rest-single-shot-follower-savage-short-action-223-remington-aluminum

You will have to have the magazine affixed to the gun for this one to stay in place. so watch where you put your bolts and it should work great.

Mine has an internal box that stays on the action. I hate having the follower in the gun, so can it bed or glue the follower in the mag box? I replied to your pm JW thank you.

snowgetter1
06-23-2013, 11:36 AM
I fill the magazine well with lead bullets, add epoxy, and stick a cheap single shot follower on top. Just have make sure the right height is obtained with the bullets and epoxy for feeding. Done this with both staggerfeeds and center feeds.

FW Conch
06-23-2013, 11:56 AM
'snowgetter1, what "cheap single shot follower" do you use on Center Feeds ? Thanks :) ...Jim

bootsmcguire
06-23-2013, 08:00 PM
Mine has an internal box that stays on the action. I hate having the follower in the gun, so can it bed or glue the follower in the mag box? I replied to your pm JW thank you.

You probably could epoxy it in, The follower just holds it up against the mag's lips in a staggerfeed, so if you just glue it in that position you should be ok.

bsekf
06-24-2013, 09:06 AM
I would one half fill the mag box with epoxy, bed a piece of alum. channel into it (for stiffness) , finish filling the mag box with epoxy and form a vee in the top of the epoxy for the cartridge to ride in.

Westcliffe01
06-24-2013, 06:58 PM
For all the guys too lazy to follow the link I posted to the thread I wrote, here are pictures of the near zero cost 10 minute single shot adapter:

Hardest part of the job, if you have a blind magazine, is to remove the metal clip that helps hold the magazine box in the stock. Then pull out the magazine box from the stock. Now superglue the metal clip back where it was to the stock, since the rear action screw passes through the clip and if you leave it out, the action will be pulled down lower than before by the rear screw.

Now obtain some aluminum sheet that is 16-20 thousandths thick. If you are extra cheap, drink a can of pop, then cut a strip of aluminum out the can. You want a piece that is a bit over 5" in length and about 1.5-2" wide. Notch it in the center of the 2 narrow ends to that the action screws can pass through it. Pre form it with a dowel so it follows the contours of your receiver and check that it does not interfere with the recoil lug in the front or the bolt release/sear at the back. It may be easiest to trim the back corners at a 45 degree angle to be sure it will clear the sear after the trigger has released the firing pin.

Now insert the sheet into the stock and align it so that the action screws will clear the slots made previously. Drop the barreled action back in plate on top and enter the action screws. If you get it all right, it should look like the pictures below. I used aluminum flashing since I never have any pop in my house...

http://www.fotoshack.us/fotos/49807Savage%20flashing%201%20shot%20adapter-1.JPG

http://www.fotoshack.us/fotos/59840Savage%20flashing%201%20shot%20adapter-2.JPG

For a 223, check that the bullet tip smoothly enters the receiver feed ramp as you slide the bolt forward. It might be necessary to glue a spacer on top of the aluminum stock to raise the bullet slightly higher , I suggest evaluating plastic pipe in the plumbing section of the hardware store that is the same diameter on the OD as the receiver. Then cut a section of that out and epoxy it to the piece of aluminum sheet we added earlier. Use epoxy sparingly, since there is no need to glue anything to the receiver.

The beauty of this concept is that it is completely reversible. You can add back the magazine whenever you want. If you have a DBM it just requires removing the action from the stock, removing the sheet and re-assembling and inserting the magazine.

The only warning that I have is be very careful not to try chambering a second round behind another that is already in place. If using match bullets you could set off the primer of the one in the chamber which could turn into a very bad day. Work deliberately and always chamber a round fully so that it would be ejected properly when you open the bolt. A worst case scenario involves opening the bolt when the round was not chambered fully and therefore the extractor is not engaged on the rim of the cartridge with the result that the round is in the chamber where you might not see it, followed by loading another round.

seanhagerty
06-24-2013, 07:11 PM
I went the pop can route with my 300 rum and I must say, I am considering yanking the followers out of all my other rifles.

snowgetter1
06-24-2013, 11:44 PM
FW this is the one I use, Score High. Have both long and short action ones.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/301807/score-high-bench-rest-single-shot-follower-savage-long-or-short-action-22-250-remington-243-winchester-308-winchester-aluminum

FW Conch
06-25-2013, 02:22 PM
"snowgetter1", I have been familiar with that follower for some time. But the description says it will not work on CF's. Some who have posted reviews say it works great, while others say it will not work at all on CF"s? Obviously, your experience with it has been positive? I have one of the SSS models, & it works "Great" installed with just friction fit. I would love to have more of them, but I wouldn't dare place an order with SSS @ this time, given their recent track record:(. I know if I get the grinder out, I can make anything fit:)! My BIL has one for a Rem700 that just pushes down on top of the magazine, & sets there until you remove it for magazine use. I'd like to see that design for Savage. Maybe that's what a "Fred Sled" is, but, same problem. When I get around to it,:), I'm going to use my SSS follower to make a "mold" in plaster, & form one out of "JB Weld". Should work? If you can shed anymore light on the use of the Midway product, please do so. When I order from Midway, I wait until the order is @ least $100, to justify the $15 shipping cost, so $9.99 won't "break the bank",& I'll just go ahead & order one & go from there. Thanks for your help :) ... Jim

bootsmcguire
06-25-2013, 05:24 PM
The Score Hi follower is for Staggerfeed only. Does not work on Centerfeed actions. SSS is the only place I have even seen making a CF style follower, other than the home made versions posted earlier in this thread.

The Score Hi brand follower is designed to sit on top of the follower and basically block the magazine while also providing a trough for single shot loading with the wider mouthed staggerfeed magazines. The Centerfeed mag design just won't allow for that style of follower and as such SSS came up with their follower that basically replaces the mag. I find putting the follower in the empty magazine well under the SSS follower keeps it in place vey nicely.

snowgetter1
06-26-2013, 12:41 AM
FW I will try get pic of it up. I sold my centerfeed with it in, but I have a staggerfeed with it mounted over bullets and epoxy. I just removed the magazine completely and built up the magwell with bullets and epoxy. Then just final fit the follower with epoxy for the height.

joeb33050
06-26-2013, 09:54 AM
I understand about making an adapter from alumininmum or ?, I taped on a cardboard adapter and it works fine.
When I get the new stock I don't want to wrestle the magazine thing out of the current stock, I'm afraid of bending or breaking something so won't have it to put in the new stock.
What I don't understand is why the adapter when you have the magazine thing. I toss a ctg. in, it centers itself in the mag thing and the bolt pushes it right in the chamber. I don't need an adapter with the mag thing. What am I missing?
joe b.

bootsmcguire
06-26-2013, 04:01 PM
I understand about making an adapter from alumininmum or ?, I taped on a cardboard adapter and it works fine.
When I get the new stock I don't want to wrestle the magazine thing out of the current stock, I'm afraid of bending or breaking something so won't have it to put in the new stock.
What I don't understand is why the adapter when you have the magazine thing. I toss a ctg. in, it centers itself in the mag thing and the bolt pushes it right in the chamber. I don't need an adapter with the mag thing. What am I missing?
joe b.

Joe, If I am understanding you correctly, the "mag thing" as you call it is the body of the centerfeed blind-magazine. I agree with you that in most cases, you can just lay the round on top of the magazine's lips and close the bolt. I have been doing that with my CF guns with no issues. The follower is a bit easier as the round always centers itself, where it can fall off the mag lips if you are rushing it.

For me, the followers are really nice if you are doing a stock conversion and only want single shot anyway. For example:
My 6mm-WSM is built on a Centerfeed Long Action. However I have elected to put it in a Duramaxx stock which is only available (discontinued now) in staggerfeed. Since the CF and SF long actions have the same screw spacing, all I had to do is slip in the SSS follower and bolt in the action to the SF stock. Totally reversible and no CF mag bedded into the SF stock.

As for removing your CF mag from your stock, just take a flat blade screwdriver with a head that is just a bit narrower that the "L" clipof the magazine. Slide the screwdriver under the clip and then just gently twist the screwdriver. If it is still hung up a bit then just pull at the front and/or rear of the mag body with a pair of needle-nosed pliers and pull it the rest of the way. Can't say I have bent 1 yet.