PDA

View Full Version : Remage/Savington barrel installed

masterblaster
06-19-2013, 09:44 PM
Well I tried and tried to get the Rem barrel off with all the tools, barrel clamp, Action wrench, rosin, torch, finally broke down and had a local smith take it off in 10 mins, threw him a $50 spot (he dropped what he was doing and took care of me). Install was pretty straight forward, I soaked the action in mineral spirits while I ate dinner, drill and 12 ga shotgun brass brush cleaned the loktite stuff off the threads and cleaned up the feed ramp nicely, scrubbed the rest of the action with issue tooth brush. Hit it with carb cleaner and blew out with air, wiped down with clean dry cloth. Installed the barrel with NSS lug and NSS ss nut, used blue locktite as I plan on taking it apart again Sunday after a test box of ammo, will get it CeraKoted next week in Tan or Graphite Black. Used go gauge and tape on the go gauge trick to get head space right. I torqued the nut pretty good, the NSS wrench is a sturdy one, I don't know what the torque spec is but will find out when I do post coating assembly. to align the lug I got the alignment tool from ebay instead of cutting the receiver, it did not fit perfect on the lug but was close enough to hold it in place. I have another 300 win mag on order from Jim for one of my Savages. Jim at NSS is a great guy, patient, easy to deal with , makes sure you are not too stupid to install the barrel before he sells you one. Great guy. Here are some pics. Well I cant figure out how to do pics, sorry, you have to trust me that it looks kickass.

Nandy
06-21-2013, 01:20 PM
Why did you loctite the barrel?

masterblaster
06-21-2013, 01:45 PM
I did both barrel and nut with blue locktite because I own Harley dDavidsons and locktite the hell out of everything that has threads on it. I am paranoid that way.

rattfink
06-21-2013, 01:55 PM
MB, would you mind educating me some and tell me what you and others mean by Remage or Savington?

P.S. I like to post pics with an image hosting site (www.imgur.com is my favorite). Its easy to upload a photo from your computer or connected device or drag and drop from another website. Then all you have to do is copy and paste the link provided that is meant for message boards and forum posts. Imgur calls it the BBCode, why I do not know.

thomae
06-21-2013, 02:10 PM
Here's how to post photos: You have to load them to a hosting site on the web first.
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?20418-The-ultimate-guide-to-posting-pictures-so-easy-a-caveman-can-do-it!

Nandy
06-21-2013, 02:54 PM
I did both barrel and nut with blue locktite because I own Harley dDavidsons and locktite the hell out of everything that has threads on it. I am paranoid that way.

OK, checking to see if we had another switch barrel builder using the loctite method to set the headspace.

Rattfink, I'm sure they are referring to those barrels that don't use the barrel nut as a mean to set headspace. Instead they have a shoulder. But I might be wrong.

rattfink
06-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Ah! What are the advantages? Aesthetics?

masterblaster
06-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Yes its a conversion of a Remington into a Savage type nut barrel set up. I like the aesthetics of both.Best aesthetics is one hole groups though. Man advantage is being able to switch out barrels like a Savage, as long as you keep the caliber matching the bolt face.

The common name is Remage for this set up, I am on a one man mission to change that to Savington as Remage gives too much credit to Remington for the barrel nut concept and it sounds metro-sexual.