PDA

View Full Version : I think I wore out my accutrigger.

bythebook
06-19-2013, 05:22 PM
It just started tripping when I close the bolt. I took it apart and cleaned it and it had a couple of burrs on the sear and trigger. I used a diamond file on both to remove the burrs and sharpen the contact edges. I still had to set it pretty hard to get it to work, not at all where it was. Has anyone else had this trouble ? I am thinking of replacing it with a SSS or Sav-2.

stangfish
06-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Have you added tension to the trigger spring by using the accutrigger tool. It sounds like you did but I'm not sure.

How about pictures showing what you did.

CharlieNC
06-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Hope you did not remove too much with the file. Fine stone would have been less aggressive/ better. Yes, try tightening the spring tension.

bythebook
06-19-2013, 07:27 PM
I added tension the trigger spring, it didn't make any difference. That's when I took it apart and polished it and cleaned it up. The file I used is a diamond dust file and is for fine work. I had this trigger really adjusted down low and it just started this yesterday. I bought this action used a couple years ago and since it came to me I have had 3 different barrels on it been shot a lot that's why I think I just have finally worn it out. It is working again since I worked on it but not good enough for a target gun, a hunting gun maybe.

jonbearman
06-22-2013, 12:06 PM
I would go with the sav-2 as the other poster suggested.It has a dvd of the install and the only thing you may have to do is make sure that the new trigger clears the stock properly.If you have problems with any rifle basix,the owner is great to talk to and will fiure it out.

Westcliffe01
06-22-2013, 12:51 PM
The Timney 3 screw trigger has a sear engagement adjustment, it is less than $100 and appears to be a far higher quality product than the rifle basix Sav 2 POS that I got with one of my rifles. Competition shooters have reported that the Timney is harder than the Savage trigger and lasts longer. Perhaps I got a lemon, but I was definitely not impressed with the workmanship on the rifle basix trigger.

It is possible that the OP may need to also replace his sear which is only case hardened and the hard layer is probably worn off. I believe they are only $13 at Numrich, so a very modest expense. I did find that refitting the sear was somewhat of a challenge since the sear return spring is very stiff and one has 4 different things to try to align simultaneously... Took me about 1/2 hour to figure it out...