PDA

View Full Version : Savage bedding question

jsthntn247
06-18-2013, 01:05 AM
I've bedded close to 15 rifles before and can't figure out what's happening on this one. I wrapped the barrel in electrical to center and free float, but the tang is riding extremely high. Has about .150 clearance. I've dremeld out everything that could possibly cause the action to be setting up but the tang won't come down. I usually wrap the barrel and put two pieces of tape under the tang so it can have two points of contact, then remove the tape and the tang is floated. Anybody else had this problem?

mattri
06-18-2013, 07:13 AM
Which model? Does it have an internal mag well?

thomae
06-18-2013, 08:31 AM
I've dremeld out everything that could possibly cause the action to be setting up but the tang won't come down. - And not to be a smart-alec, but apparently you have overlooked something.

Did you remove the magazine?

Did you check around the trigger?

Did you check your pillars (if you are have pre-installed pillars)

If you put more tape around the barrel, it will raise it higher which might decrease the tang gap.

If all else fails, put a lot of plumbers putty (inexpensive, never hardens, easy to remove) in the stock, insert the action and really press it in. Then, when you remove the action from the stock, you might be able to see where the putty has been pushed away (is thinnest)because action to stock contact has displaced it.

bsekf
06-18-2013, 08:53 AM
Have you removed the trigger group?

demolitionman
06-18-2013, 08:54 AM
Check to make Sure the tang isn't bent upward. If the action has ever been torqued down in a BC stocks, the tang area inletting is often way high. I've seen this literally bend up action tangs. In short; make sure the tang is straight/level with the action first.

demolitionman
06-18-2013, 08:57 AM
Also, it is common practice (unlike Remington) for users of Savage stocks to remove material from the stock to "float" the action tang. Maybe this has been done already. I don't know any Remy guys floating action tangs like savage guys do.

jsthntn247
06-18-2013, 09:32 AM
The trigger and mag box are both off. Thomae, I've floated the barrel all that it needs, the action is lined up perfectly level in the mag well. This stock was pillar bedded before I got it. I believe the front pillar was set too low. If I bed it like I have it now, I will not be making any contact with the front pillar, only the Devcon thats on top of it

BillPa
06-18-2013, 11:32 AM
If I bed it like I have it now, I will not be making any contact with the front pillar, only the Devcon thats on top of it

Why would Devcon on top of the pillar(s) be a problem?

Bill

jsthntn247
06-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Why would Devcon on top of the pillar(s) be a problem?

Bill

All the top notch gun builders bedding pics I've seen have contact marks on the front and back of the pillars?

BillPa
06-18-2013, 03:42 PM
All the top notch gun builders bedding pics I've seen have contact marks on the front and back of the pillars?

That's because they make the pillars to fit, the same as I do. In your case just bed the top of the pillar(s) to the action, the Devcon will do EXACTLY the same job as aluminum or steel pillars.

Bill

jsthntn247
06-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Got it bedded and shot it today. I can live with 5 shots at .25 moa.
http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy293/jsthntn247/3765AA45-A532-471E-A2C0-E7F572A78937-50811-000005D21CB582AB_zps0f311ba9.jpg

demolitionman
06-20-2013, 01:25 PM
What did you do to fix your initial problem ?

jsthntn247
06-20-2013, 02:50 PM
The rear pillar was set a little high by the original owner. I used the pillar as a point of contact along with the tape on the barrel channel. I made sure the action and barrel were parallel with the stock before adding compound. Basically the free float method except using the rear pillar as a contact point instead of tape under the tang.