PDA

View Full Version : Getting Bolt Worked Over

Jerry D
02-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Got my first Savage and the bolt I find is hard to lift up on the upstroke after shooting and after dry firing. I have to put one my index and ring finger on the bolt, and my thumb on the scope and pry it up sometimes.

I've heard that you can work the bolt? How many of you guys have done it and is it recommended? What is the proper name for working the bolt if it can be done?

Also would the smith need the whole rifle or just the bolt because I would probably have to ship it. Thanks.

82boy
02-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Welcome to the site.
Not to belittle you but you should never use the scope for leverage to open a bolt. There is a few things you can do your self to make bolt lift a little more easy. One buy a longer bolt handle like the ones that Sharp Shooters Supply (SSS) of Stockade sells. (Purchased from them or other retailers like Brownell's.) You can also make and install a bolt lift kit, if you do a search you will find the information. All it is is a cut down piece of 38 special brass with a ball bearing glued in and installed in the back of the bolt internals.

If you want a bolt lift like a custom action then you need to send the entire action to a smith like SSS, for a time and true job.

I hope this helps and welcome to the site.

beradon
02-01-2010, 12:16 PM
There is something wrong with your rifle. First thing I would do is thoroughly clean the bolt and action, apply a liberal coat of oil to the bolt and work it a couple dozen times. If its still tight contact Savage's Customer Service (they are very helpful) or the dealer you bought it from. I've owned several Savage & Remington's and have never seen or heard of a bolt handle being that hard to lift.

Blue Avenger
02-01-2010, 01:18 PM
they would need the whole rifle to check both parts working (rubbing) together.

82boy
02-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Also check for pressure signs on your brass, if you have high pressure it would cause a hard bolt lift.

Uncle Jack
02-01-2010, 02:19 PM
82 Boy may have the most obvious answer. First clear the weapon and make sure there are no cartridges in the magazine or the chamber. Dry fire the rifle. Is the bolt still hard to lift? If it is, call Savage. If you have access to go/no go gauges, check for excessive headspace. If it lifts normally the next step is the range. What ammo are you shooting? If you have been shooting reloads, try some factory ammo. If the bolt lifts normally on factory, DO NOT shoot anymore of those reloads. If the problem persists, definitely call Savage.

uj

P.S. Whatever the problem, if and when you find an answer, please post. I would kinda like to know myself.

Blue Avenger
02-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Also check for pressure signs on your brass, if you have high pressure it would cause a hard bolt lift.
I thought that too, but he mentioned snapcaps.

LOL like others I did not remember what I read. Dryfire, not snapcaps is correct.

82boy
02-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Got my first Savage and the bolt I find is hard to lift up on the upstroke after shooting and after dry firing.

The remark about dry firing is why I did not mention it first.

Jerry D
02-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Imagine this scenario.

I'm shooting prone from the bipod with 1 arm holding the gun at the trigger and my other arm supporting the rear of the stock as it sits in my shoulder. I fire ammo or dry fire. I then go to cycle the bolt in the prone position. I need to remove my hand from supporting the rear to hold the rifle more solidly, or reach up and put my thumb around the scope ring with my shooting hand and then pull the bolt up with my fingers. If I keep my support arm where it is, and don't put my thumb on the scope, lifting on the bolt will just lift the gun.

It just seems harder than other rifles I've shot to recock, I've done some more searching and I've found this service.

"BOLT TIMING ADJUSTMENT - Greatly reduces bolt lift and makes bolt operation much smoother and easier. Working the bolt while shouldered is no longer a problem"

It seems as if that is my problem, also found a thread here on the high road.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=419045

What do you all think now?

Also found this

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=977045 - A guy said opening his bolt felt like torquing his action... I really love the gun, just want to get this fixed and get it bedded and it'll be ready to roll.

82boy
02-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Yes the biggest complaint about Savages is the bolt lift it is heavier than most.

As stated before, no matter why you should never use the scope as leverage.

The proper way to open a bolt is with your thumb on the back of the stock by the safety, using your fingers held together placing your index finger under the bolt handle, and rotating the bolt up with your wrist. Your thumb on the back of the stock should hold the stock down, as your wrist lifts the bolt. I have never seen a Savage that the bolt lift was so heavy it could not be open by this way.