PDA

View Full Version : Remington EtronX Electronic Primers anyone use these?

rabbit20
05-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Midway USA has a box of 1000 for $170. has anyone used these primers before?

sinman
05-06-2009, 05:02 PM
you need the etronx rifle to use them.

rabbit20
05-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Thank you...that is why i asked :) figured it was something like that

sinman
05-06-2009, 06:37 PM
primers are way way to high otherwise I would of gotten one of the rifles.

Armed in Utah
05-06-2009, 11:00 PM
No one here shoots a Remington........

pa hog
05-06-2009, 11:13 PM

AAAA-MEN!!!!! ;D

But maybe a Tikka! ;) I like Tikka's!

psharon97
05-06-2009, 11:31 PM
Ill shoot Ruger's every now and then. Those rifles shoot pretty good too.

sinman
05-06-2009, 11:40 PM
those etronics were guaranteed to shoot either 1/4" or 1/2" groups. and ammo is dirt cheap for them.

Eric in NC
05-07-2009, 06:54 AM
They don't make the rifles or ammo any more though right?

Armed in Utah
05-07-2009, 08:02 AM

AAAA-MEN!!!!! ;D

But maybe a Tikka! ;) I like Tikka's!

Yea....have to admit I have a few Tikkas myself....
595 ss/syns...223 & 7-08
T3s in 6.5x55 ss/lam & walnut
T3 in ss/varmint 223
Best two rifles out there...Savage & Tikka

bsn
05-07-2009, 02:09 PM
I don't recall there ever being an accuracy garantee on the Etronx. Most do shoot well, but the barrels are just Remington production barrels. My 22-250 Etronx is about a 1/2moa rifle and the barrel is rough to say the least. Rebarreling them with a premium barrel really brings out their true potential. Its a really neat system and very reliable, when you see that solid red light the gun will absolutly, positivivly go off when you touch the trigger. I change the battery once a year, its supposed to good for about 600+ shots per battery but I have never pushed the issue. Remington had a great idea but asking $2K for a rifle with a standard barrel insured that they would never take off. Some good deals can be found on them now if you look around and they can be converted to a standard system by changing the bolt and trigger.

knickia
05-07-2009, 08:50 PM
I for one have always found electronic ignition intriguing :)

My question would be... Why couldn't this also be done with normal primers ?
an arch between two points on the primer, or between the center of the primer and case (possibly the less optimal since you could ignite the charge with the arch vs powder)....

Or
Just use the arch and a plug for the primer... dont they do this on electronic ignition black powder ?

bsn
05-07-2009, 09:13 PM
You could ignite a stadard primer with a strong enough arc, problem is the arc would blow a hole in the primer and all kinds of bad things would happen. A black powder gun has a sealed breach and black powder ignites easiliy thats why an electronic ignition works for them. For a centerfire rifle you have to use the primer to complete your circuit. By the way you can set off an Etronix primer with any high voltage low current source so a resourceful person wouldn't be tied to a Remington action.

fhusher
01-06-2010, 07:54 PM
I did a lot of experiments with the etronix primers and found that they do not work as claimed in the patents. Ignition is not by way of a resistive heater as is usually believed of electric primers but by a piezo crystal. The piezo component requires an electrical shock so that it stretches enough to cause the primer material to ignite (meaning shear force). Hence the ignition is by an electrically induced stress rather than a mechanical stress as occurs in standard primers. Creeping up on the primer with an electrical potential will not cause the primer to go off as the shear force does not fracture the primer compound sufficiently. Thus the ignition circuit is more like a camera flash wherein it is the rate of change driving into a capacitive load. Interestingly, the capacitance is not constant and changes with the applied potential. This means the driver must be insensitive to changes in a capacitive load. Excessive ignition injection really has no effect on the primer behavior such as would occur with excessive mechanical impact on regular primers. Static shock does not carry sufficient energy to make the primer ignite because of the variable capacitive nature of the primer so the cartridge is quite safe in handling.

Fred

Savage_Jake
01-14-2010, 08:44 PM

Hey now. I love my Savages but my 700 LTR .308 is hard to beat.

okie2
01-26-2010, 10:23 PM
I don't think any company has made more screw ups than Remington.
as for this primer all they would have had to have done is make it like a spark plug and never change primers.
this was just another ripoff the public idea.