PDA

View Full Version : Groups like this all the time...

Pages : 1 [2] 3

stangfish
06-18-2013, 11:06 AM
A rifle with that much recoil as any other rifle would benifit from lapping the rings. I would want as much contact as I could get. You realy should try Warne Rings.

1983Weatherby
06-18-2013, 01:05 PM
With the muzzle brake the recoil is about the same as a .270. It really isn't bad now. I will have my gunsmith make me a custom rail and go with either XTR burris rings or warne rings.

1983Weatherby
06-18-2013, 03:17 PM
Ok, so I bought a EWR rail and warne quick detach rings in medium height. Now I just have to decide if I lap the rings myself or take it to a gunsmith.

yobuck
06-18-2013, 04:46 PM
Ok, so I bought a EWR rail and warne quick detach rings in medium height. Now I just have to decide if I lap the rings myself or take it to a gunsmith.

im 78 years old. ive been using hunting scopes for about 60 years. untill just a couple
years back there was very little talk about lapping scope rings. but now im feeling
guilty because of never doing the right thing and lap scope rings. so last year i sent
to midway and bought a scope ring lapping kit. i couldnt wait till it arrived so i could start
making amends. the first set of rings i tried was perfect and didnt need lapping.
ditto for the second set. i have lots of guns and dont really want to remove all those scopes.
they seem to shoot ok anyway so im thinking about trying to get away without doing it.
at least i bought the tools. maybe i can just give a thumbs up when guys ask.
but then it would also give me an oppurtunity to install the scopes properly.

1983Weatherby
06-18-2013, 04:56 PM
I meant EGW base. Sorry for the typo.

Yeah, on their site it states that you shouldn't have to lap the Warne rings. I wish I just had the Barstock alignment tool to check prior to mounting the scope.

davemuzz
06-18-2013, 04:58 PM
I usually buy Burris Signature Zee Rings with the plastic inserts and then there is no concern about lapping rings at all. I have found these rings to hold the scope tight, never slip, and not leave rings in the scope tube when I have removed the scope.

Dave

yobuck
06-18-2013, 06:06 PM
id loan you mine but their 1200 miles away. in a couple weeks it wouldnt be a problem.
id be installing the base and ring bottoms. just lay the scope in and see how it feels.
chances are its perfect.

stangfish
06-18-2013, 09:16 PM

You wont need to lap the Warne rings and they will never damage your scope tube. I should have stated that. You are going to love those rings!

Doodaddy
06-25-2013, 11:15 AM
I usually buy Burris Signature Zee Rings with the plastic inserts and then there is no concern about lapping rings at all. I have found these rings to hold the scope tight, never slip, and not leave rings in the scope tube when I have removed the scope.

Dave

I tried these in the past couple years and they are now my standard ring to use. The inserts are fantastic for zeroing the scope without adjusting (except for the final fine tuning) allowing the scope to maintain clarity.

1983Weatherby
07-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Ok, so the bad news is the tube is bent and since the scope is so old it is non repairable.

It's a Burris 6-24x44mm with a 1" tube. Has Forever warranty.

They are going to call me back later this week and give me options on what scopes I get to choose from.

I don't know much about Burris optics now a days other than they aren't built like they used to.

What would be an ideal optic replacement from Burris that I should try and get?

My existing scope doesn't have any fancy turrets. It has a fine plex reticle, and front parallax adjustment. Great in low light situations.

C4 Series 4.5-14x42mm 1" tube
Fullfield E1 6.5-20x50mm
Fullfield II - 6.5-20x50mm

1983Weatherby
07-08-2013, 05:11 PM
Ok, just got back from the local gun store.... The fullfield series are junk IMO. Horrid eye relief. The glass isn't very good and just feels cheaply made.

I wasn't able to handle a c4 series, but did get my hands on a eliminator II 4-14 and the eye relief and glass were close to comparable. It has a built in range finder and turrets which would be an upgrade, but my old scope had 1/8" adjustments which were great for long distance shooting.

I would be willing to take a eliminator with less magnification to call the deal fair.

I will let everyone know how it works out. Hoping their customer service comes through.

mattri
07-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Will be interested to see how this turns out, Matt.

stangfish
07-10-2013, 06:39 PM
pay the difference and get the Mtac.

1983Weatherby
07-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Well a hunt is coming up in 3 weeks and I didn't want to chance it.

Bought a vortex 6.5-20x50mm PA.

Sighted it in today and it was a breeze. Wish I was a better shot. Using a bipod only at 100 yards I was able to get a .73 group.

stangfish
07-10-2013, 10:13 PM
Yeah you might want to work on those groups! you might easily miss at say 800 yards

1983Weatherby
07-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Lol, I think it's because I was in a rush. I usually can do a 3 shot group at .30 when I take my time. This was pretty much back to back just to get it sighted for the hunt.

I'm going to step it out to 200 and 300 this weekend.

1983Weatherby
07-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Ok, got word back from Burris. They are sending me a 6-24x44mm signature series with a ballistic mildot reticle.

So they came through a lot sooner than possible. Now I have to decide if I return the vortex or keep it.

The reason the Burris tube was bent was the person before me shimmed it wrong and used the wrong bases and mounts.

Burris is still sending me a replacement.

Awesome customer service!

stangfish
07-11-2013, 02:51 PM
Although I only have the one Mtac, I am impressed. My son had their Xtreme Tactical and all I can say is wow. It is good to know that the CS backs things up.

short round
07-16-2013, 10:46 PM
One thing that can cause accuracy problems & drive you nuts is the front action screw. If it is a hair to long & touching the bolt head lug. Check the lug & screw for rub marks.

1983Weatherby
07-16-2013, 10:48 PM
Took it to the smith and had him check the barrel. It was pitted. He said he was surprised it shot as decent as it did.

Time for a new barrel.