PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Screw in the bolt??

Fedor42
06-16-2013, 10:17 PM
What about friends a question: I have a Savage Model 93 in .22 WMR, which is this screw that I point out in the photo. What does it do? How to calibrate this screw?

Thanks and sorry for the ignorance, greetings from Costa Rica.

http://imageshack.us/a/img402/9411/lvju.jpg

bootsmcguire
06-17-2013, 01:05 AM
That is the pin that engages your sear, so when the trigger releases the sear, this pin is released by the sear and lets your firing pin move forward striking the primer (rim of the cartridge in your case). That's a basic redneck explanation, I can't recall what its actual name of that pin is at the moment. Its one of those tip of the tongue things...

IIRC there really is no adjustment for the pin itself and no need to adjust it.

stangfish
06-17-2013, 01:40 AM
Your bolt is in the cocked position and the firing pin is retracted. The pin you asked about is sitting on the shelf of that "window" in the bolt and is what holds the bolt cocked. Currently it loaded or under pressure from the spring. As you close the bolt in the action, the resistence you feel is the sear lifting that pin off of the shelf and rotating it to a position that when released by the sear it can travel the required distance to ingnite the cartridge. Whe you pull the trigger the sear drops out of the way and the spring tension slams the firing pin into the primer/rim discharging the firearm. Centerfire guys adjust that spring tension to make the bolt lift easier as well as alter on a small scale the trigger pull.

thomae
06-17-2013, 09:52 PM
On a centerfire rifle, the official nomenclature is "cocking piece pin" but I don't know if that is what Savage calls it on the rimfire. If you look up your model on the Savage.com parts finder (you'll need to enter your serial number) you'll be able to see the exploded diagram with all the names of the various parts.

Fedor42
06-17-2013, 11:50 PM
Thanks guys, I did not know that was the **** screw ...
You have seen an old dog can be taught new tricks ...