PDA

View Full Version : This rifle will arrive tomorrow

Pages : 1 2 [3]

bodywerks
06-19-2013, 08:49 PM
That's a good start. Those beam scales are just as accurate as digital. Just take longer.

Hoghunter53
06-19-2013, 09:04 PM
That's a good start. Those beam scales are just as accurate as digital. Just take longer.
I won't be mass producing so that will work out fine for me. Anybody have a reason for preference of one over the other?? I have heard good stuff about both. I shoot a lot of Hornady for some reason in my rifles. Just seems to be good enough quality for a reasonable price.

bodywerks
06-19-2013, 09:34 PM
Preference of what?

Hoghunter53
06-19-2013, 09:36 PM
Preference of what?
Hornady or RCBS.....

bodywerks
06-19-2013, 11:17 PM
Both make decent reloading equipment. Fear not.

Hoghunter53
06-20-2013, 06:53 AM
Both make decent reloading equipment. Fear not.

Thanks. I will be a reloader soon.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Hoghunter53
07-03-2013, 11:35 PM
So I got my Burris Eliminator scope and the **** electronics didn't work...live and learn I guess. Sooooooo my LGS was a bit miffed so I got really lucky and he gave me what I think is a great deal. I got a Leupold Mark 4- 6.5-20x50 ER/T Mil-Dot....He mounted it with Badger Ordanance Rings put a 4' Leupold sunshade on it....did the mounting, leveling and boresighted it for me and i gave him another 100 bucks. Now my question is..does anyone have some advice on a DVR or book or class that would help me signifigantly with reading and understanding the Mil-Dot reticle and how to use it?? Sorry for bloviating..Thanks

SlimySquirrel
07-04-2013, 01:15 AM
Man, now you are talking! Although, the eliminator would have made it easier to "point and shoot" but heck, the best things are earned and learning new tricks is what it's about?

A mate of mine has that rifle, I spied it in a Gun Store and let him know.. I had to turn around and pick it up, then personally deliver it to him! Luckily I was headed his way so had a flight booked.

Nice rifle, big palm swell but I was surprised at how light the rifle was for a big rig.

Needless to say it shot really well, here is a Video of him taking a "Spiker" with it, he forgot the distance but it's a decent shot any how.

*Deleted Video link*

Shows the Deer being Gutted so probably not postable... but his YouTube name is Doc Watson and the video heading is "Savage 338LM Across a Valley".

Might be worth asking for his load data, I'll try and get some off him and post it.

Slimy

bodywerks
07-04-2013, 01:46 AM
Everything you ever needed to know. Long story short, its easy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5AGsHSIsVo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

SlimySquirrel
07-04-2013, 02:21 AM
Woah, Now I actually understand how they work!

I was a little like "What the Heck?" when he started but it made sense slowly! Gotta say though that I always have a Rangey on me... My brain will need time to soak this up....

rjtfroggy
07-04-2013, 06:10 AM
Mil Dot Master, you can get it on line or from www.swfa.com (http://www.swfa.com) there is also a cd called "long range shooting simulation thet you can use for practice with out firing a shot. Different calibers and shots out to 2000 yards.
Just found the web site www.shooterready.com (http://www.shooterready.com) iirc they have an online trial version.

Hoghunter53
07-04-2013, 06:15 PM
I think I figured the picture thing out
http://db.tt/J3OJcubx

Hoghunter53
07-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Wow...I did it. The last picture was with the new Leopold. This one was with the Burris and you can see the whole rifle. Most of you have seen before but hey.....this one is mine:D
http://db.tt/GaaRVG6S

stangfish
07-04-2013, 06:45 PM
So I got my Burris Eliminator scope and the **** electronics didn't work...

Who would have thunk it?

Hoghunter53
07-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Who would have thunk it?

Just hard headed I guess. Got me a good deal on a Leopuld at least :thumbup:

Hoghunter53
07-07-2013, 12:07 AM
So I finally get to shoot my new rifle with my new Optic on it today....I got her sighted in and moved to shooting out at 200 yards and was way low on the first two shots ...soooooo I start looking and lo and behold the factory screws had come lose on the rail!!!! I am sure someone else has had this happen and i am hoping just a little Blue Loctite will do it....Is that good enough?

SlimySquirrel
07-07-2013, 01:57 AM
A bit naughty if the Person Who installed them didn't torque them down... Maybe he did and you are just a loose shooter! ;-)

I would use Blue loc-tite as anything else seems to need a bit of heat to remove..

This is grabbed from the EGW Web site

"Installation: EGW recommends 20 inch lbs of torque and a drip of blue loctite"

Good luck!! Post results of your groups when you get some.

:p

Westcliffe01
07-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Clean the rail and receiver and loctite the rail to the receiver too.

Hoghunter53
07-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Thanks Squirrel and Westcliffe..I am going to get some today and give it a shot. The rifle is absolutely everything i hoped it would be and I am sure once i get it all together I will be doing a range report with a huge smile on my face!! This is one of 4 Savage rifles i have and I am so impressed with Savage..they have a customer in me forever!

452b300
08-15-2013, 01:48 AM
Mil dot master.