PDA

View Full Version : factory gun reamed

calib
02-01-2010, 03:00 AM
im i was to by a factory gun could i just have it reamed to what i wanted or should i realy just get a new barrel put in with what i would want

GaCop
02-01-2010, 06:41 AM
Sure, you can pay a gunsmith to recut a chamber or you could go the new barrel route, your choice. Me, I'd go the new barrel route unless the barrel being replaced was a real bug hole shooter or I was rechambering to one of the Ackley cartridges.

pa hog
02-01-2010, 08:32 AM
Depends on the runout of the factory Chamber, my smith won't cut it unless there is less than .002. He uses floating reamers and they will follow what ever is there. Unless he's cutting the threads off and starting over in which he can indicate off the bore. I'm not sure you can do on a factory barrel due to lack of meat. What are you looking to buy? And what caliber do you want? Another option is have the Savage custom shop build what you want to start.

358Hammer
02-01-2010, 10:06 AM
I am with PA Hog on this one.

I have had several barrels over the years when shot with the new chamber, ended up with up to a .005 swell in one side of the fired case.

No this won't be an issue if the chamber cutter has a floating reamer holder but then one won't know if the chamber was cut true to the bore either.

Neal

Blue Avenger
02-01-2010, 01:24 PM
If I was to by a factory gun could I just have it reamed to what I wanted or should I really just get a new barrel put in with what I would want
What do you want and what are you thinking of buying? going way bigger tends to clean better.

calib
02-01-2010, 08:04 PM
i was thinking of getting the 12 vlp in 243 and have it improved

pa hog
02-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Thats not to bad then, I just sent a brand new Brux from S.S.S. in .243 to MCR to have Kevin blow it out to an A.I. before I even shot it.
Still depends on runout of factory Chambering, Kevin will chuck it up and check it out before he chambers it.

calib
02-02-2010, 12:26 PM
what do you think something like this would cost

pa hog
02-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Best off to call him and ask, I'll pm you his number.