PDA

View Full Version : Savage 12 Stock

supergolfer18
06-16-2013, 12:51 AM
Searched and found a couple threads on the question I had but still wanting some new input.

Anyone with experience care to point me in the direction of the Savage 12 Bench or Savage 12 F class stock that tracks better/does better with a 30" barrel? Thinking of doing a build for FTR and then using switch barrel to shoot F Open with a 6BR or 6BRX barrel. Both 308 and 6mm barrel will be 30".

Will be using a Savage Target action with a RB 2 trigger

Thanks for any help/advice.

MikeCTX
06-16-2013, 08:03 AM
Check out the Long Range Bench Rest at Sharp Shooter Supply (http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/) or one of the Stock that Shehane (http://scopeusout.com/custom-rifle-stocks/target-stocks/)

82boy
06-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Honestly out of the 2 stocks you have listed 12 Benchrest, and the f class I would not recommend either.

To start the F class is one of the strangest designs I have ever seen. For some stupid reason Savage decided to make the back with of the stock at the drop way too wide, and it requires a "Special" made rear bag to fit the stock. The best thing you could do it sand this stock down a bunch, and make it fit a standard bag.

The 12 Benchrest stock is also a odd bird, the gun is designed for long range bechrest. (Note the calibers and twist rates.) But for some reason the designers designed the stock to function in a short range or point blank Benchrest guidelines. So the gun has a canted drop in the back, that is not needed to comply with long range Benchrest rules. Also I don't understand the front forearm of the stock, as it looked like the only stock they studied was a McMillian Edge, and decided it had to be designed like it, with the "I" beam front.

Now onto your question, will it be a good stock to use with a 30 inch long barrel. In short "no," there are far better choices. The problem with both of these stocks is they are light in the rear end, and with the long 29 and 30 inch barrels offered on the guns from the factory they are very nose heavy, and you have to watch then as they will lift out of the rear bag. The problem could and should be fixed, by drilling a few holes in the back of the stock, and adding a bunch of weight.

On to of the noted problems I will state another reason I would not recommend this stock, for use in long range Benchrest of F class. Considering that in both classes the shooters will be using a fast twist barrel, the centerline of the bore is place high up in the stock, and because of this the stocks are very sensitive to torqueing issues, caused by the bullet spinning down the barrel. The centerline needs to be much lower.

With that said, this is what you get when the designers don't actually shoot competitions, that they are designing the guns for.

supergolfer18
06-16-2013, 12:25 PM
so MBR might be the best value stock? Price seems reasonable. I do not want to spend over $500 on a stock

The barrel on the new build is going to be a 12 twist in 308 and an 8 tiwst in the 6mm barrel

82boy
06-16-2013, 12:56 PM
The MBR is an OK stock, not my first choice. It has a high centerline, and the torque issue is there, but other than that it is a good stock. The stocks mentioned before the SSS long range, and the Shehane tracker, are basically MBR copies. I would recommend the SSS dogtracker, and it is in your price range.

supergolfer18
06-16-2013, 01:52 PM
the Dogtracker almost looks like the lowboy P&T stock except it has the offset forend. I will look into that. I have a B&C A2 stock and I think that is what I couldn't get to track very well and a lot of bipod jump using a Sinclair FTR bipod. Had a 10 twist barrel and shooting a hot load. This next one will be loaded lighter and hopefully track better for me

Anyone have a photo of these style stocks you own?

Alleycat72
06-16-2013, 02:34 PM
My dogtracker. I like it, but I need an adjustable comb.
http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/alleycat72_bucket/He-deserved-it008.jpg (http://s830.photobucket.com/user/alleycat72_bucket/media/He-deserved-it008.jpg.html)14

supergolfer18
06-16-2013, 03:48 PM
Any complaints other than needing an adjustable cheek piece? Is that an adjustable butt plate?

jonbearman
06-16-2013, 04:26 PM
Why not take a look at stockade stocks,priced right and not too bad of lead times. www.stockadegunstocks.com

Alleycat72
06-16-2013, 04:32 PM
Any complaints other than needing an adjustable cheek piece? Is that an adjustable butt plate?

No. The stock feels good. The pad is adjustable.

supergolfer18
06-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Dog Tracker is out for me. Can't be used with a bipod or at least that is what SSS told me

MBR is getting up there above $700

:confused:

Hovering Sniper
07-16-2013, 10:36 PM
>Alleycat< Thats a beautiful stock. I like the idea of the offset forearm, but I think you are right, it does need an adjustable cheek.

82boy
07-16-2013, 10:47 PM
Dog Tracker is out for me. Can't be used with a bipod or at least that is what SSS told me

MBR is getting up there above $700

:confused:

Why not a SSS long range benchrest, it is exactly the same as a MBR.

stangfish
07-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Have you considered a chasis system.

Alleycat72
07-17-2013, 05:57 AM
PDC makes a F-Class stock. Check out the red savage.

http://www.pdccustom.com/photogallery/savage