PDA

View Full Version : Savage F-Class Cheek Rest Modification

lee1000
06-15-2013, 08:46 PM
I decided to put one of those Beretta shotgun cheek rests on that plastic piece of garbage and it should work well. It’s very comfortable but I haven’t shot it yet. It was pretty easy too, just stick it on and cut a hole for the screw. I used a sharpened 308 case mouth to cut the hole; the hole is a bit ugly but it works. Cutting that rubber precisely isn't easy it overhangs and I may or may not trim it off.

Here is link but I bought mine from MidwayUSA
http://www.berettausa.com/products/gel-tek-cheek-protector/
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/277160

The great thing about this is its reusable. To re-stick it somewhere all you have to do clean it with soap and water. I had read about other similar products but this one got the best reviews. I had also read that if you get it dirty it may be hard to get the dirt out of the surface as it is very soft.

FYI, the pad is about a 1/8” tall but it does compress, I used it with the high cheek rest.

Pictures Here
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=B1C7C00CD3B4B6B9!109&authkey=!AGS6FNB1KPl79Ls

lee1000
06-24-2013, 06:14 PM
Well the cheek rest fell off while in the safe, it will need to be glued on due to the texture of the black plastic. I'll update with the type of glue I end up using.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

thomae
06-24-2013, 06:27 PM
Interesting. Looks good. I thought the one description was funny, however:
"Its (sic) opaque in color so you can still see the stock thru it."
How's that again?

lee1000
06-24-2013, 09:18 PM
Haha, I never noticed that

stangfish
06-24-2013, 10:46 PM
What kind of shooting are you doing. How close is your scope to your barrel. Why is the scope sa far rearward. I ask this becuase it is rare for me to see a scope so high and so far towards the butstock. I am curious if putting your money into a lower set of rings and moving it foreward may not help . Looking closer your checkrest is holding your eye way off centerline. I use a similar setup with a neoprene cover. I think you can turn that spacer 180* and it moves your cheeck closer to the centerline of the rifle.

lee1000
06-25-2013, 12:22 AM
I plan on competing in 600 and 1000 yard competitions. Unfortunately I've only put 100 rounds through it due to the powder and primer shortage.

The scope is 1/8" from the barrel. I had ordered EGW low rings but they were too low and if I remember correctly the knurled magnification knob touched. Luckily the great people at EGW let me return the rings even though I had bought them elsewhere. The rings I have now are .990 high and the scope is a Night Force BR 12-42x52.

I put the scope where it felt comfortable, once I get prone out at the range I may fiddle with it. I see what u mean by my eye being off center, I was compensating for that but I might do some grinding on the plastic part.

Thanks for the advice, I'm new to this.

jhelmuth
06-25-2013, 03:30 AM
Interesting. Looks good. I thought the one description was funny, however:
"Its (sic) opaque in color so you can still see the stock thru it."
How's that again?

Superman was doing the write-up on it. He forgot to account for us mere mortals.... :p