PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my 10FP back, with a 5 R barrel

Pages : 1 2 [3]

762X51
06-20-2013, 06:33 PM
762x51, were your groups at 100 yards?? You are shooting 5 shot groups, but dang the PC should shoot better than that. Getting a lot of negative on the 5R lately.

Yes, the groups were at 100. My first PC with the regular 6 land Savage button rifled barrel was much more accurate just balky as hell when it came to ejection. Don't know that I'd be a candidate for another 5R barreled rifle. I have pencil barreled hunting rifles that shoot better than the 5R PC did.

eddiesindian
06-21-2013, 12:10 PM
How much adjustment in moa to get you to 1000?

28 moa.......the BSA is a 30 MOA......
i develop,d an accurate load going 2900-ish for that 11.25 twist. thats one of the reasons i went 150smk....no over pressure and speed to get me out to distance. (accurately)...less recoil as well
elevation is 4200ft
temps are floating close to 100dg
150gr MHPBT going 2900fps

stangfish
06-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Must be nice to have that kind of air for shooting. I bet your humidity is less than 50% too.

eddiesindian
06-21-2013, 03:49 PM
yes...less than that....I surely hope so. if we had that much humidity with this heat?.....man that spells trouble. just not used to that. Il take dry heat anyday.
It is nice shooting at that elevation. downtwon e.p. is at at about 3600-3800, but heading up towards the mountaisn has its advantages.
Ive porposely went out this last winter to see for myself how accurate the ballistics I have for my load under 20-30dg weather are. much to my suprise they were spot on.....not gonna do it again......man it was cold and just not used to my boogers getten frozen..........

Jet
06-22-2013, 09:16 AM
I hear ya BW, I don't overly clean the barrel normally, just through break in, after that a couple runs with a brush and oil, and then patch. My normal day at the range is 500- 800 rounds though so it gets cleaned every trip.

Holy Cow--you are going to have the barrel shot out before you figure out a load for it.

masterblaster
06-22-2013, 09:25 AM
Well that's part of the fun huh.

Holy Cow--you are going to have the barrel shot out before you figure out a load for it.

jonbearman
06-22-2013, 11:33 AM
What brand of barrel is on it,factory or aftermarket? What is the bedding like? Does the barrel freefloat? Tell us in detail and we can likely figure it out.I have a shilen canted land(5r) barrel in 6 br that shoots great.I dont think your problem is the design of the barrel it is something else.It could be related to who made it.Have you or could you have the barrel scoped to see what it really looks like inside?

Neeltburn
06-22-2013, 01:55 PM
Try new brass and 43.5 gn Re-15 capped with a smk 168 bthp and FGMM primer.

masterblaster
06-22-2013, 11:24 PM
Its a factory installed barrel, it sits in a Mcrees stock, I just installed the Sav 2 trigger yesterday, 8 oz of pull. I loaded up a few hundred rounds of new Lapua with 175 SMK's, 50 round s each pushed by Varget at 42.0, 42.3, 42.5 and 43 grains, also have a couple hundred PPU 168 match rounds I will shoot tomorrow tomorrow.

All rounds loaded with COL of 2.8 even, Rem primers.

What brand of barrel is on it,factory or aftermarket? What is the bedding like? Does the barrel freefloat? Tell us in detail and we can likely figure it out.I have a shilen canted land(5r) barrel in 6 br that shoots great.I dont think your problem is the design of the barrel it is something else.It could be related to who made it.Have you or could you have the barrel scoped to see what it really looks like inside?

bodywerks
06-23-2013, 12:22 AM
A friend of mine tried some weird factory match 308 ammo, and i believe it was that ppu stuff. Couldn't get it to even chamber hardly.
You need to shoot for about a .010 jump on those 175smk's, and i believe you're about .010 short at 2.8. Just going off personal experience, although the extra jump won't be the difference between a half inch group and a 1.5"group.

masterblaster
06-23-2013, 05:40 AM
I have used a lot of PPU over the years, its under rated and over looked by a lot of the shooters out there. Will see how it performs today.

bodywerks
06-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Have you shot it out of your savage yet? It might be privi partisan or something like that that I'm thinking of. The brass was too long at the neck

masterblaster
06-23-2013, 03:11 PM
Just back from the range, I fired 20 rounds of PPU 168 match from the new 5 r, yep, all over the place, I normally shoot it out of my M1A, its around 1 moa in it, strange huh.I shot the Lapua/175 SMK reloads, so far 42.5 seems to be the tightest and most consistent groupings. I jumped from 42.5 to 43 when making the rounds, the next best groupings were in 43.0 grains of Varget, I will now make up 50 rounds of 42.7 and 42.5 for comparison,I will move the OAL out 2thou for each 10 rounds in each load to see how that impacts the groupings. Lot of work in the garage on the bench doing this but to tell the truth, I like reloading almost as much as shooting. The thinks you learn help your shooting greatly.

nastynatesfish
06-23-2013, 03:55 PM
Probally need to do a break in with you original ammo then do a good clean/ de copper and startvworking up s new load. What I hate about a new rifle or barrel is seeing how in accurate it can be

big honkin jeep
06-24-2013, 12:37 AM
You may be amazed at how much difference a primer can make. They are definitely one of the less expensive components. Try loading up your most accurate load yet and try a couple of different brands if they are available.
Since stumbling onto a couple of great loads by not having my regular primers available I have added testing loads with different primers to my load development routine.