PDA

View Full Version : Got my Boyds stock

Nandy
06-14-2013, 05:08 PM
Sunday I ordered the Varmint Thumb-hole laminated gunstock with the Forest Camo finish and it arrived today. I have always been a fan of the polymer type stocks since my rifles are no safe queens and they all go to the field to hunt. I have to say I love the look on this stock. I am so in love with the looks that I dont think I will end up painting it like I had plan to. I will have to do some fiddling around as the dimensions seems to be just a hair off. It is a very tight fit and the barrel touches the stock. After a bit of looking and checking I determined that the inlet for the recoil lug was not done correctly or the action screws holes are off... If I take the recoil lug off everything fits ok for exception that a dollar bill will fit between the stock and barrel but it is a tight fit which is a bit too tight for me specially in a wood stock. I did not check the tang. If I only install the action I can see where the action edge where the barrel and recoil lug is supposed to be is not flush with the recoil lug resting place. I will have to either dremel/sand it or chisel it out but I want to be careful and not over do it. I will bed this stock with pillars and all in the coming month but want to take it out to shoot maybe this weekend. I do not have a lot of faith on that thin recoil pad so I will later on change it to a limbsaver brand one. If anyone knows which limbsaver pad will fit this stock without modification please let me know otherwise I will be getting either the one you can fit like a sock over the stock or the one that you can grind off. That thing is so light that 30-06 is going to sting!!!

One thing that I found annoying is Boyds having a stock that is named varmint but does not fit a varmint barrel without modifications. Beats me....

Anyway, for the price I dont see how could I have done better! Pictures to follow once I get it all mounted properly.

derrelw
06-16-2013, 10:42 AM
I love the look and feel of the laminated thumbhole stocks. WE WANT PICTURES!

mdharris68
06-16-2013, 03:27 PM
I love my thumbhole varmit stock, and yes it doesn't fit a varmit contour barrel at all.

Nandy
06-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Shot it today. It felt great but I need to get a Limbsaver pad.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn215/nandy_temp/20130614_212550.jpg

nastynatesfish
06-16-2013, 10:01 PM
I've had 3 of them. The last a bobby hart LRT. I always gouge out the recoil slot and bet them. My barrels are also heavier so I end up opening them too. They have always felt like the grip took a bit of recoil away. I do like them

seanhagerty
06-17-2013, 07:38 AM
I do wish they came with a bull barrel channel. I spent a long time working mine over to open it up.

I absolutely love this stock, although it does seem very front heavy with my varmit barrel on it.

I would buy this stock again.

Sean

Nandy
06-17-2013, 10:18 AM
Did you guys just sand it to open it or what? I was thinking on either use my router or dremel with a cutting tip.

jbjh
06-17-2013, 10:43 AM
Did you guys just sand it to open it or what? I was thinking on either use my router or dremel with a cutting tip.

You can use any of them, but sanding gives you more control. It just takes longer. Powered hand tools are too easy to mess up with in my experience.

seanhagerty
06-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Yes, it takes longer with sandpaper and a socket, but you have less chance to messing it up.