PDA

View Full Version : Competition Dies

scope eye
06-14-2013, 07:52 AM
I just got a set of Redding comp dies for my 6mm BRX, and with the bullet seater die there was a warning not to seat bullets with compressed powder loads, or it will cause damage to the die, what's up with that, I know of no other way to load, is there any other way to load? my whole world is falling apart here, no seriously what are they talking about.

Dean

BillPa
06-14-2013, 10:28 AM
I just got a set of Redding comp dies for my 6mm BRX, and with the bullet seater die there was a warning not to seat bullets with compressed powder loads, or it will cause damage to the die, what's up with that, I know of no other way to load, is there any other way to load? my whole world is falling apart here, no seriously what are they talking about.

Dean

I read, heard or had a dream somehow it would or could damage/break/destroy the seater stem.

is there any other way to load?

It might be a good reason to buy a Vickerman.:p http://www.gmwvickerman.com/

Bill

scope eye
06-14-2013, 10:33 AM
[QUOTE=BillPa;188680]I read, heard or had a dream somehow it would or could damage/break/destroy the seater stem.

Is the seater stem really that frail or fragile,

Dean

stangfish
06-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Does seam kind of odd doesn't it?

82boy
06-14-2013, 11:07 AM
As many know I am not a big fan of Redding. I believe that what you are seeing is a generic coverall warning covering all dies. When I think of a compressed load I think of what we do with PPC, and 30 BR cartridges, where we have powder way up to the middle to top of the neck, and we are seating a bullet on top of that. A BRX has a bit more case capacity than a BR but the powder is down along the shoulder junction. (Never played with a BRX, but I have Dashers, and BR's.) I would not call this a compressed load, even though the bullet is going down past the should junction, there is still room for the powder to move. I think the problem is with the micrometer seaters, it places stress on them when your compressing the powder charge, and that it may cause damage to the micrometer. On the seater stem, it is just a piece of steel, I know on Wilson dies, they are soft, and can expand/mushroom out a tad bit, sometimes making changing seater stems from one die to another, a bit of a chore. I guess with a Redding die, that is not supported like a Wilson die, it could reek havoc.

O by the way, watch seating VLD bullets into the powder, as this can cause concentricity. As powder can push the boat tail one way or the other.

scope eye
06-14-2013, 11:28 AM
Well that's about as thorough of an answer, as one could ask for, Thanks.

Dean

stangfish
06-14-2013, 12:11 PM
82boy made me think of how micrometers are made. The micrometer is pressed into the mic body(the "C" part) with a mild interference fit. I wonder if this construction would facilitate the movement at this fit in the body of the seater die. That fit is never designed to see more presure than the ratchet thimble will exert. ths would cause the mic to vslip and be inconsistent with previous measurements. just a thought.

scope eye
06-14-2013, 12:21 PM
When it is a liquid it is referred to as hydro-lock, is there a term for powder, inquiring minds want to know.

Dean

davemuzz
06-14-2013, 12:53 PM
I've had the RCBS competition seating die for the 6.5 Swede for some time now (about a year) and have had no problems with it at all. OF course, I'm loading, for the most part, Nosler Custom Comp's and some Hornady's but none using a compressed loads. Even more recently I purchased the competition neck bushing die to get about 99% of my loads to come out with under a 1-thousand inch concentricity.

The competition neck bushing die and the competition seating dies are not cheap by a long shot, and they make excellent ammo. Again, I don't load compressed charges....but if I did I wouldn't hesitate to use the seating die to do so. These dies seem to be built well and I can't see where something would break, unless the user was overexerting the seating process. And if that were the case, it would seem to me something else would be amiss and need looked at before you got to that point.

MHO

Dave

Dennis
06-14-2013, 05:20 PM
I have never had a issue with compressed loads in my BRX. Your charge should be to hot before this happens. I use Berger 105's Hybrids, and 107 smk's, no compression with a healthy load of Varget.

I have two friends shooting the same barrel and this applies to their barrels as well.

Dennis