PDA

View Full Version : Help with 300wsm build

n10sivern
06-13-2013, 11:11 PM
I'm looking to sell my Tikka 300wsm so I can build a savage. This may be impossible to build, so I figured I'd ask for direction. I want a reasonably priced 300 wsm for deer hunting, SA large shank, stainless barrel in something heavier than what's on my tikka, with a detachable magazine. I'll figure out the stock later. I may just go with a laminate stock. So far I like my criterion on my other savage build, but if anybody has any reasonably priced suggestions, let me know. Are SA large shank actions out there or am I just gonna have to find a used or new rifle to be a donor? Any help from those that have done this build would be appreciated. Push come to shove I may just buy a new savage rifle and change the stock and barrel later.

bootsmcguire
06-13-2013, 11:57 PM
The SA-Large Shank actions are out there to be had. IIRC one just sold in the classifieds in the last couple of weeks.

My question to you is why must it be a large shank? The WSM case works perfectly fine and safely in the standard shank. I have a 6mm-WSM built on a small shank and it works fine. I also had a 300WSM on a small shank for a bit and it worked great as well. I have found that the Centerfeed Long action works great for the WSM's, just use a standard magnum bolt head (like for the 7mm Rem Mag for example) and then the CF magazine for the standard magnums (7RM or 300WM). Feeds fine, and shoots fine and no limits on how long you can seat the bullets.

Just some food for thought.

stangfish
06-13-2013, 11:58 PM
There are many of us that have put a wsm in a standard small thread action. There is the issue of the WSM bolt head though.

n10sivern
06-14-2013, 12:11 AM
I'm mixed on the action. I read about issues finding the bolt head for a standard short action. I had thought about a long action because 7mag and 300mag's are readily available, but then I would lose the short action. I kinda feel that if I go to a long action I might as well have a 300 mag. Problem is I already have Forster ultra dies and about 500 brass for the wsm so I'm not really looking to go 300 mag.

Also, who all makes the small shank wsm barrels?

bootsmcguire
06-14-2013, 12:18 AM
There is really no gain to the short action, but if you are dead set on it, you can modify a Magnum bolt face from a long action to work on a short action. All that is needed is to shorten the "stem" of the bolt head on a LA-Mag head to be the same length as one from a SA. That's it, and almost any machine shop should be able to handle that task at a minimal expense. Then all you need is a WSM Magazine and follower. Midway normally has them and I believe Savage will sell you one.

n10sivern
06-14-2013, 01:04 AM
Actually, I may just do the LA. Probably be easier to find a 7mag with DBM to use as a donor rifle

Hard H2O
06-14-2013, 01:27 AM
I am unclear on why it would be hard to find parts for a product currently in production. I have a new SA model 11 in .300WSM with a laminated stock, accutrigger, DBM.

stangfish
06-14-2013, 01:36 AM
PT&G may have the bolt heads for a short action.

efm77
06-14-2013, 06:31 AM
WSM actions aren't hard to find. I had no trouble getting my 12 VLP DBM. In fact, that model has about everything you said you were looking for without having to build it. Unless the barrel on that model is a little too big for what you're looking for. It's large shank, detachable magazine, laminate stock, heavy barrel. And it's made in 300 WSM as one of the cartridges. And yes you can use a small shank for the WSM but some of us prefer the extra meat the large shank provides. I just feel better about it. Good luck with you search.