PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: not feeding on safety

bflee
06-13-2013, 09:35 PM
I havn't had this rifle too long and have only been in my backyard range with it three times. Every time I have shot it I have been alone and only loaded five cartridges at the time and then fired them for a five shot group. I have always had the rifle in the fire position on the safety. Now on to the problem. It is a model 93 22mag with accutrigger and if I engage the safety it will not feed. If I put it on fire it feeds flawlessly. This is not a real problem for me with the way I shoot but I was just wondering if this was normal. I use the bolt as a safety myself, and I couldn't be more pleased with the accuracy. I just wanted to know if there was even an issue here.

Mr.Joshua
06-16-2013, 07:20 PM
If memory serves you have to load a round into the chamber with the safety off, once a round has been chambered then you can engage the safety.
Hope that works for ya.

stangfish
06-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Is it a 3 position safety. You should be able to do everything in the middle position with the exception of firing the rifle if it is.

bflee
06-17-2013, 12:35 PM
thanks guys. I will check it out.

J.Baker
06-24-2013, 02:33 AM
Savage rimfires have 2-position safeties. The safety will only engage to "safe" after the bolt is cocked (opened), but the safety does not lock the bolt closed when engaged like it does on some other rifle designs.

That said, if you want to load a round into the chamber with the safety on you first need to cycle the bolt to cock it without a magazine in place, engage the safety, then insert your magazine and cycle the bolt again to chamber a round.

bflee
06-24-2013, 12:10 PM
The rifle will strip a round off the magazine in safety but jams the tip up before it reaches the bore. I just thought it should feed it if it strips it off the magazine. I thought it was the ten round magazine but it does the same with the stock five and I just never noticed it because I always shot all five and then left bolt open and safety in fire position.