PDA

View Full Version : Can I do a barrel swap with only a nut wrench and barrel vise (no action wrench)?

Jeg181420
06-13-2013, 12:42 PM
I'm putting a heavy barrel on my Stevens 200. Old barrel is already off. I have go/no go gauges, SSS nut wrench, and wheeler barrel vise but no action wrench. Is this enough to get the job done? Will I be able to tighten the nut to 35ft/lbs without it turning in the barrel vise or do I need an action wrench too?

stomp442
06-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Yep I do it all the time. Couple of good whacks with a hammer on the nut wrench tightens it down sufficiently. You can also add a little blue lock tight to the threads if it makes you feel more comfortable.

stangfish
06-13-2013, 01:22 PM
Draw a line from the action to the barrel when the headspace is right. After you tap the wrench with a hammer make sure everything is still lined up. Then check your headspace with no go. Sometimes it might be required to hold on the the bolt handle to keep things from turning when you "whack" it. This is the reason many of us purchased the action wrench as well. Good luck!

nastynatesfish
06-14-2013, 03:57 PM
I've never used a go gauge or action wrench just a piece of new or a tight full length sized brass.

stangfish
06-14-2013, 05:31 PM
just a piece of new or a tight full length sized brass

Sounds like a go gauge to me. Add a shim to the back and now it is a no-go.

Dennis
06-15-2013, 12:32 PM
Yep I do it all the time. Couple of good whacks with a hammer on the nut wrench tightens it down sufficiently. You can also add a little blue lock tight to the threads if it makes you feel more comfortable.

All I use is a barrel vise and go/no go gauges. I use "never sieze" on the threads, one good tap with a rubber hammer will do the job. I guess the blue lock tight will work, but will make getting the bolt back off a little harder.

Draw a line from the action to the barrel when the headspace is right. After you tap the wrench with a hammer make sure everything is still lined up. Then check your headspace with no go. Sometimes it might be required to hold on the bolt handle to keep things from turning when you "whack" it. This is the reason many of us purchased the action wrench as well. Good luck!

So far, I have never had the action move after hand tightening with my wrench. Lucky I guess. The absolute test is to use your go/no go gauges after tightening. I screwed my 338 Edge barrel on using the same above process. Still tight and working.