PDA

View Full Version : New Barrel - Will I Need a New Recoil Lug?

beartooth91
06-13-2013, 09:20 AM
I have an accustock .243 sporter, bought new, 3 years ago. Its a great shooter, but, I want a varmint barrel on it. While I'd prefer a fluted, stainless, Shaw barrel; their wait vs. the readily available McGowen prefits has me eyeing the 26" 1:10 twist stainless match .243 barrel on their outlet website.
So, am getting ready to make the purchase. I'll have a very good, local 'smith install it. I realize the accustock will need opened up for the bigger barrel. But, what about a recoil lug? Seems like I read somewhere that I'll need a different recoil lug.....? Please advise.

Thanks,

Mark

thomae
06-13-2013, 09:41 AM
Since you are reinstalling the new barrel into an accustock, I would simply take the old lug and use it with the new barrel.
The accustock recoil lugs are shaped slightly differently than the non accustock recoil lugs. They have narrower parallel sides. My guess is that if you relieved the accustock aluminum bedding block for the wider (side-to-side)recoil lug, you would significantly weaken it at that point, which might result in the bedding block cracking.

stangfish
06-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Thomae hit the mark. I am looking at one that I milled for a wider lug. I had to grind the new fat lug to fit the sides. It was not a drop in. If you are not shooting a magnum, it might be overkill.