PDA

View Full Version : 10TR or 10P?

telsonman
06-12-2013, 03:40 PM
posted this on another site but never got a response. I figure this is a better crowd anyway...

Ok, so I already have a 10FP that is my long range gun. Its the older stagger feed model, but whatever. Anyway, I was going to get the Hog Hunter as a new deer rifle to go along with my .30-30, but the 10TR is the same price from my LGS. Its pretty new, but apparently its better than the hog hunter, by that I mean is has a detachable mag, 20" heavy(er) barrel, 5R, accustock, tactical bolt knob, and threaded muzzle. As of yesterday I heard about the 10P, which seems to be the same as the 10TR, but without the accustock.

Am I seeing all that right? Its weird that a better rifle is about $100 cheaper. Mind you the main use of this gun will be in the woods, but I figure why buy the hog hunter, when I can get a better rifle for the same price. Will I shoot it long range? Of course, but I'm not going to deck it out like my 10FP

big honkin jeep
06-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Not really that familiar with the model you speak of. Maybe it's a distributor run. Are you sure it's 5R ? or maybe SR, ( the threaded barrels are known as suppressor ready or SR)
If it has the accustock and is $100 less than the hog hunter then either the HH is way overpriced, or you found yourself a sick deal. I'd jump on it if it has the features you want.
Maybe it's just me but I prefer a sporter barrel on my hunting rifles. The lighter and easier to wield the better. It also doesn't hurt my feelings that they are generally cheaper and just as accurate as heavy barrels. Maybe they don't look Tacticool but they sure are easy to carry without weighting me down and snagging every piece of brush they are also easy to handle and quick to point.

brasse
06-12-2013, 08:29 PM
10R has detachable mag, 20" or 24" heavy barrel, 5R (yes!),accustock, tactical bolt knob, scope rail, and threaded muzzle

10P detachable mag, 18" or 20" heavy(er) barrel, 5R, no accustock, tactical bolt knob, no scope rail,and no threaded muzzle

You can get a 10TR for as low as $446, the 10P is about $620.

telsonman
06-12-2013, 10:44 PM
So the P had a heavier barrel?

And why is a better rifle cheaper?

My LGS has the TR for $430.

brasse
06-13-2013, 01:20 AM
Probably the same barrel, TR with muzzle threading and 10P without.

Just noticed the place I am getting a 10TR from lists the weight as 11.9 pounds. So that 20 inch barrel is at least Varmint heavy.

Other manufacturers are coming out with cheaper rifles, Savage is pricing this rifle way low for law people. I would say the 10TR is much better than the Hog Hunter in many ways. Much better barrel, scope rails included.

But as a deer rifle it is heavy, but so is the Hog Hunter.