PDA

View Full Version : Stock torque on 11 Hog Hunter

txbdyguard
06-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Before I get chastised for not searching does anyone know the " # torque specs for action into the stock. I have a Boyd's lam stock no pillars or bedding and when I torque the action to 45" # it binds up the actions but it runs smooth at 30#. I am guessing since there are no pillars that's why it's doing it. Any one else have that issue or have some ideas?

Your help is appreciated.

stangfish
06-10-2013, 11:12 AM
When you say binds up the action I think bolt hangs up. If this is the case as you are torquing the end of the screw creeps towards the bolt as you displace wood. You could put washers under the screw heads to displace the load and give you some room. Try that and or remove a thread from the end of the action screw that is offensive.

txbdyguard
06-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Thanks BC I'll give that a whirl. The trigger guard has metal under it. The bolt does bind up.

Maztech89
06-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Same deal here with my Boyd's, I can't do 42# or bolt doesn't close, but at 30# it's fine. I placed a thin washer under front plastic "pillar thingy" that they stick in and it fixed my problem to get me by until I pillar bed it.

davemuzz
06-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Who is telling you the in\LBS should be 45? I've always used 30# as a "benchmark" for the Savage. First, make sure your recoil lug is snug against the stock. Usually I have the screws finger tight to the stock (the barrel can slide but not move away from the stock much). Then I point the barrel straight up and snug the front screw first, then the trigger screw, then I tighten the front screw to 30\in#. Then the rear screw to 30\in#. Then I shoot it to see how it is.

Now, there is some "messing" you can do with the torque to get better groups. This article explains it. http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/savage-action-screw-torque-tuning/

txbdyguard
06-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Dave I was told that a couple years ago. I torqued it to 30# and it works fine now. I need to get a thin washer as a bearing surface though.

davemuzz
06-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Yeah......45# seems heavy to me. Of course...maybe you chatted to the woman who wrenches on the barrels at the Savage Plant. I think She crankes 'em on at 4,000 Ft\Lbs. (Yes....FOOT\LBS!!) After all, it does take bolts, solid steel blocks, and long ratchet extensions to get those babies off!!!