PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Trigger

Pages : [1] 2

wbm
06-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Have a new Axis and want to add a new trigger.

Any preferences between the Timney and the Rifle Basix?

Tack
06-11-2013, 04:53 AM
I've ordered a timney...but that's all I could get. I would have liked an accutrigger.

Axtell3
06-11-2013, 07:13 AM
The timney is very nice! I can't speak for the other.

wbm
06-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Thanks guys. Ordered a Timney.

82boy
06-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Save your money and buy a used accutrigger, it is easy fit and far better trigger.

jalmeter29
06-11-2013, 06:25 PM
+1 for the accutrigger, its what i did. Its lots safer too.

J.Baker
06-12-2013, 01:15 AM
I don't think I'd go as far as to say the AccuTrigger is "far better" than either of the aftermarket options, well...unless your main deciding factor is the price. Also, used AccuTriggers aren't always that easy to come by - especially now that people are holding onto them just in case they end up with an Axis in the future.

thermaler
06-12-2013, 03:22 AM
I have used both in axis rifles and personally think the RB is the better of the two mostly because it's slightly more adjustable. I agree that an accutrigger is the best option if you can find one and engineer it to go in (I haven't done this yet) since IMHO this does make the rifle safer. I have personally succeeded (aka failed) in getting an axis to AD by going with just a very light spring and polished sear--the trigger group can rather easily move IMHO disengaging the safety if the stock doesn't line up well (again, rather easy to do if the recoil lug isn't seated well and the receiver screws are not properly tightened). I'm not an expert-- your results (and opinions) may vary. As much as the flexi-stock bothers me--the simple "all or nothing" safety I think is the worst feature of the axis.

wbm
06-13-2013, 09:03 PM
I don't think I'd go as far as to say the AccuTrigger is "far better"

Me neither. Just installed the Timney and I am impressed. Easy installation, crisp and about 1.5lb pull. I like it better than the AccuTrigger on my 110 and 11 Light Weight Hunter. I know it is not as safe but there were safe enough Savage rifles long before AccuTrigger.

Tack
06-13-2013, 10:03 PM
Do you use the factory spring with the timney or has it been modified or even replaced.

wbm
06-14-2013, 11:58 AM
I used the replacement spring supplied by Timney.

thermaler
06-14-2013, 01:40 PM
I know I will catch flack for saying this--but having a hair-trigger on an axis is playing with fire IMO. Too much flex in the over-all construction to safely be dialing down the break-release pressure to match-like pulls WITHOUT something like an accutrigger. IMO, it's not a question of if, but when you will have an AD.

stangfish
06-14-2013, 02:13 PM
^This voice of reason should prevail.

wbm
06-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Valid point but I don't know why anyone would want to get the Timney down to "hair trigger" territory. Essentially the Timney uses the same method as the three screw Savage trigger.

Tack
06-19-2013, 06:38 PM
WOW. Just installed my new timney trigger and now it feels like a rifle. It was okay before and could shoot one inch groups at a hundred yards but can't wait to get out and try this. No creep and super smooth.

thermaler
06-20-2013, 07:13 AM
The timney is a fine product and I have one installed on an Axis as well as one of my AR's.. I've launched a couple of rounds through my Axis merely by closing the bolt with the trigger set very light. This was after carefully installing and testing everything--I can only guess that pounding some rounds through the gun moved things enough to where the AD was possible. I then took the upper assembly off and noticed the the trigger group inherehently pivots on the pins just enough that it could conceivably disengage the sear--or if the recoil lug was ever so slightly moved I believe could easily affect the alignment enough to disengage the safety. My personal belief is that the Axis simply does not have the design tolerances built into it to be using very light trigger pulls and reliable safety engage/disengage. I also admit that i may be totally full of it since I'm not an expert--but there is absolutely no way any of my axis rifles are going anywhere with rounds in the well with a trigger under 3 lbs pull while not using an accutrigger type group.

wbm
06-20-2013, 10:48 AM
I've launched a couple of rounds through my Axis merely by closing the bolt with the trigger set very light.

The "very light" may be the real problem rather than "design tolerance". My axis is a .223 and therefore recoil energy is much less than other calibers. However, after installing the Timney I tried hard to make it slam fire. Simply could not do it.

Tack
06-21-2013, 12:33 AM
Mines set between 2 1/2 & 3 and its beautiful. I did the drop on floor test and shake and drop sideways test and couldn't get trigger to move.

savagebuilder
07-20-2013, 09:45 PM
ive installed lots of rifle basix triggers and everyones been real happy with them.

Willy
07-20-2013, 10:02 PM
I installed two Basix and two Timney triggers on my Savages that didn't have Accutriggers and between Basix and Timney, I prefer the Timney. I found them easier to install, you don't have to worry about Loctite on the screws, slam fires, and the safety seems to instill more confidence. Of the three, definitely prefer the Accutrigger.