PDA

View Full Version : Spray dilema

TraverseSavage
06-09-2013, 11:51 PM
First, sorry if I've posted in the wrong spot.

I'm preparing all my parts to duracoat and I have ALL parts taped off and "cleaned". The components giving me a problem in particular are the barrel and action. The barrel nut, #1: Seems to be laden with oil, because when I douche - it - out with the degreaser, it continues to release an oily substance even after dozens of sprays. #2 Little "beads", I'm guessing from polishing at the factory, continue to "make themselves apparent" after I was convinced they were eradicated after many sprayings of "factory approved cleaner". Capillary action or whatever, these tiny little BB like, silver balls slowly follow gravity while the action/barrel are hanging and drying after I spray them with cleaner.

Do I need to separate the barrel and action in order to coat them? Has anyone else encountered this?

Hog hunter, .308.

stangfish
06-10-2013, 12:50 AM
Might be a good idea. Then you can soak the small parts to get them clean.

mudpig
06-10-2013, 11:24 AM
If you have a big enough container there is no real need to separate. I would however recommend soaking parts in acetone for 30 minutes to degrease properly.

jonbearman
06-11-2013, 12:16 AM
What you are seeing is glass shot from bead blasting .I would take that barrel offf and scrub out the threads with a toothbrush and some solvent and then spray with brakleen or similar and blow the reciever dry with compressed air.Then put some antiseize on the threads toward the chamber and reinstall the barrel.You will need a reciever wrench,barrel wrench,and at least a go gage.

thomae
06-11-2013, 09:19 AM
What you are seeing is glass shot from bead blasting .I would take that barrel offf and scrub out the threads with a toothbrush and some solvent and then spray with brakleen or similar and blow the reciever dry with compressed air.Then put some antiseize on the threads toward the chamber and reinstall the barrel.You will need a reciever wrench,barrel wrench,and at least a go gage.What he said. I don't know if the beads are glass or metal, but the only way to get rid of them is to disassemble and pick or brush them out of the threads. As jonbearman suggested, I would disassemble it all, really clean up the individual parts, and then paint/coat it, and then when the coating had hardened, reassemble it with a little anti-seize in the threads for good measure.