PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire Model 87 D rehab

sakllc
06-09-2013, 02:25 PM
I am new to forum but looking for info - I got a 87 D from a customer - she had it in basement near pool chemicals - chlorine etc. - totally rusted up where exposed - actually still had original bluing and no rust under the stock.

Stock had been totally cracked through from just forward of trigger guard up through to just in front of receiver - looks like someone took a baseball type swing at something - had been pinned and glued and finish is shot - looks like birch or cheap light weight wood. I separated pieces - very little wood missing - cleaned up and got good fit-up - gorilla glued and pin nailed and seems solid - will sand and finish up as best I can but am looking for replacement stock - not sure what all models will interchange.

Started totally dismantling - action seems to work fine though needs full clean and lubing. Got hung up at point of removing outer magazine tube - couple of gunsmiths were not totally sure but thought it should just pull or tap straight off - I could see no pins or lock screws, could see it moving vs. the elevator and vs. both the the rear and front guides. I went ahead and drove it off with a rounded bar in the cartridge feed slot and it finally cleared the rear guide and I was able to pull it back out through the front guide. Then I found the ragged, punched through dimple that was hanging up in the cavity in the rear guide opposite the cutout for the take down screw.

My questions are - did I use the proper method for removing tube or is there some better way?
Is that dimple necessary for retaining the tube in position? - my tube fits very tight on the elevator and it looks like the takedown screw could project slightly into the hole in the tube and prevent it from rotating or pulling out towards he muzzle. If it is not needed, I will grind and knock it down when I reassemble. If it is needed, how was it put there? - did they just punch it out through the takedown screw hole?

Also as far as the rusty barrel, there is nothing to save so I am attacking with Kroil, rust buster, wd-40 and a wire brush - will figure out how to protect and finish once I get it cleaned up - even under the heavy rust it doesn't appear to have noticeable or heavy pitting - will know in a couple of weeks

Input, advice and answers would be appreciated -

82boy
06-15-2013, 12:26 AM
Welcome to the site.
The problem is whit these guns, even thought they are great, and a hoot to shoot, they have no value, and you can get more into the gun that what it is worth. Surprising most of the parts are available on ebay. (I have seen several barrels on there.) I been told to never remove the tubes on these guns, and I have not done so. The biggest problem with these guns is magazine feeding. The guns have been made under different names and model numbers. There is a Springfield 87 is very common, Guns was made under the Stevens, and fox names. Other names are Sears, firestone, westerfield, western auto, wards, and a few others. The Savage model 6 is the same gun as well.

sakllc
06-17-2013, 11:21 AM
Welcome to the site.
The problem is whit these guns, even thought they are great, and a hoot to shoot, they have no value, and you can get more into the gun that what it is worth. Surprising most of the parts are available on ebay. (I have seen several barrels on there.) I been told to never remove the tubes on these guns, and I have not done so. The biggest problem with these guns is magazine feeding. The guns have been made under different names and model numbers. There is a Springfield 87 is very common, Guns was made under the Stevens, and fox names. Other names are Sears, firestone, westerfield, western auto, wards, and a few others. The Savage model 6 is the same gun as well.

Thanks for reply -
I understand the lack of value but this design looks real interesting and as a mechanical engineer and amateur gunsmith and shooter, I hate seeing an old gun in as poor condition as this one was and I can't resist trying to get it back in good shape and appearance. The mag seemed to be in good working condition - I fed a couple of rounds through it so a little cleaning should have it in great shape. I really had to remove magazine to clean up the barrel properly and the outer mag tube - just curious if the way I did it was proper and whether on not the dimple that holds It in the rear mag support is necessary, and if so - is it just punched out through the hole that lines up with the takedown screw?
Hopefully all I will invest is my labor and maybe a new stock.