PDA

View Full Version : BVSS stock bedding help

bottomgun
01-30-2010, 09:14 PM
I want to bed my 12 BVSS in Devcon 10110. Does anyone have pictures or a detailed thread on how to do this with the blind magazine? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EFBell
01-31-2010, 12:31 AM
There are complete step by step articles in the members section. Priceless!

tinkerer
01-31-2010, 12:43 AM
When you are sure you have your pillars the right length and clearance in the holes correct, apply a layer or 2 of masking tape to the stock to keep Devcon off it, from around the action and at the front of the barrrel in front of the nut. Now bolt the pillars to the stock, after you have waxed all exposed metal and the top of the tape, 2X. Polish well to prevent lockup.

Mix the Devcon according to instructions and apply around the pillars on the action, around the magazine, a little. Not much room for the Devcon to mash into there. Get a good amount around the pillars and on the side of them as this goes into the hole and around the front recoil pad. Now with the action upside down, slide stock onto pillars and secure down with a couple of wraps of masking tape around the stock, over the center of the action and make sure its set down where it needs to be. Now as the Devcon starts to dry, turn the stock upright and remove excess around edge of action where it meets stock. Do it now and its easy, wait and it will take a lot of work. Wait 4 hours. Remove tape, unscrew bolts into pillars and tap underside of barrel to remove action from stock. It will probably be tough, but do it now or take ther chance of it forever setting up as the Devcon has a habit of flowing into areas around the magazine and rear trigger. Once you get it out, clean up excess Devon. Once clearanced, reinsert and tape down. Wait 12 hours and remove. Remove tape and clean up edges. it done properly, you should have a nice mold of the underside of your action. There is a process here somewhere as well as a primer on the net.

Larry
Tinkerer

bottomgun
01-31-2010, 01:55 AM
I will try to find that stock bedding 101 post and look at that. My action has the internal magazine box that is attached to the action, so that and the trigger are the places I am worried about.

GaCop
01-31-2010, 07:21 AM
I've bedded 7 stocks now and have never had to worry about devcon getting on the magazine box. I use Kiwi neutral shoe polish on the trigger and have never had a problem with locking the trigger parts. Two coats of polish does the trick.

Salvo
01-31-2010, 08:54 AM
I use modeling clay to create "dams" that prevent the epoxy from going where I do not want it to go.

I roll the clay into 1/8" to 1/4" strings that flatten out and compress as I tighten up the action. They also spread out a bit, so be sure to allow for that.

The clay is a lot easier to remove than epoxy, and it won't hurt anything. Be generous with it in areas where you absolutely, positively do not want any stray epoxy to end up.

On one rifle, I wrapped the trigger mechanism in Saran Wrap, then blobbed modeling clay over the entire thing so as to create clearance around it. On other occasions I have used the clay to fill in screw holes and voids that would have presented a problem if epoxy had flowed into them and set there.

A slightly oily rag will wipe it right off of wood or metal, it's fairly easy to remove and you can re-use the same chunk of modeling clay for several jobs.

pdog06
01-31-2010, 09:25 AM
Here's the stock bedding 101 article

http://savageshooters.com/index.php?articleview=Stock%20Bedding%20101

tinkerer, you forgot to mention to apply release agent to the action itself, and also tape up the front and sides of the recoil lug. You'd definately have a mechanical lock if you didnt.

gitarmac
01-31-2010, 11:46 AM
I used something called "parafilm" to wrap my trigger group. The rear trigger pillar was the most problamatic as there wasn't much wood there to begin with.

Here are the finished pics.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/4300640614_8fca0cfb4b_m.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4032/4299893373_4f7e8ffa2f_m.jpg

There is a lot of relief around that rear pillar. I used bedrock bedding kit I had leftover from my 10/22's Make sure you check to see if the rear tang should be floated as well, some models can be bedded there, some can't.

bottomgun
01-31-2010, 02:38 PM
Thanks to all. Gitarmac, these pics are more helpful than what's on the bedding 101 because it is for the internal magazine and shows the small amount that can be bedded at the rear bolt. Hopefully that's how mine turns out. Did you remove wood aft of the recoil lug before bedding?

normmatzen
01-31-2010, 05:16 PM
Check out the 6mmbr web site. Under "articles" they have extensive info on bedding.

I have done a model 110 and my bench rest gun based on a Precision target action in a used BVSS stock with the magazine well plugged and new action screw holes . Not too difficult, and a lot of personal satisfaction!

gitarmac
01-31-2010, 06:13 PM
I removed enough wood to make more than a minimum layer of compound, and made footholds for the compound with the dremel. I put clay in front of the recoil lug so the channel would not fill up.

The worst part was that rear pillar, I had to grind it quite a bit to give enough clearance to the sear. I used the factory takedown screws to hold the pillars on when it was set into the stock. I actually did it in two steps, it's hard to guesstimate how much bedding compound you will need without risking too much flowing into unwanted areas. The second step was pretty easy though.

I cleaned it up some with the dremel when it was done, and put a coat of spar varnish for weather protection. Hopefully my scope will be here this week and I can site it in on friday.

docsleepy
01-31-2010, 11:19 PM
so none of you guys removed the trigger group? I took mine off, and the magazine also. A lot of work!

gordon

Blue Avenger
02-01-2010, 01:33 AM
nope, been lucky so far.