PDA

View Full Version : gap between receiver and recoil lug

flatshooter
06-06-2013, 01:00 PM
I recently bought a used 110 with a gap between the lug and receiver.

Haven't shot it yet.

JackinSD
06-06-2013, 01:08 PM
I hope you realize that you have some work to do before you fire that thing. I would be checking headspace, among many other things.

flatshooter
06-06-2013, 01:22 PM
oh really, many other things... like what?

BillPa
06-06-2013, 01:40 PM
oh really, many other things... like what?

Like someone may have had the barrel off or at least tried. Even a crooked lug will spring enough to flatten between the receiver ring and nut...given enough "oomph".

Personally I agree with Jack. I'd have it checked by a competent 'smith or at least someone with the tools to check and correct any issues before firing the thing.

Bill

flatshooter
06-06-2013, 02:02 PM
I just took it apart. The lug doesn't sit flush against the receiver without the nut against it.

I talked with Savage.... I explained the lug wasn't flat. It's slightly distorted, the tech said the lug should sit flush before assembling the barrel and nut. Also... I didn't take much effort to break free the nut, compared to another one I had to lay on hard to bust loose.

Should of left it alone.... there's a slight chamfer to the side that sit on the receiver. That acounts for the "gap". Those techs at Savage don't have that info, nautrally, it's pre 95. I'll just get a HS gauge and put it back together, maybe even get a new lug for kicks.

stangfish
06-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Can you post some pictures and give us the story from begining to end. From when you purchased it and all about it then, where you are now and what was done to change it.

Fish

flatshooter
06-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Can't post pics due to not a paying memeber here.

As i said the lug has a slight chamfer facing the receiver. No biggie.

stangfish
06-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Send me yours plus the return shipping I will send one back to you that I ground flat. You will have to put an anti-rotation pin in it or use it without the stamped antirotation(I do). I should have a couple laying around.

flatshooter
06-06-2013, 03:11 PM
I appreciate the offer but it's no big deal. I can grind it if I want to. And it has a stamped lock pin on it.

scythefwd
06-06-2013, 03:25 PM
you can post pics by linking to the images on photobucket. I'm not a paying member here either had I have no issues posting pics.

flatshooter
06-06-2013, 03:29 PM
You're right I just thought about that....LOL Just post the link. Thanks. Gotta go to work now though.. catch you all later.

thomae
06-06-2013, 04:00 PM
It's slightly more than pasting the link.
Read this for more information.
http://www.savageshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?52-Help-and-FAQ-s

stangfish
06-06-2013, 04:12 PM
I recently bought a car for my daughter. It had a door ding on the fender. She drives it ok.