PDA

View Full Version : Use air in a can to cool barrel?

Pages : 1 [2]

GunDog72
09-16-2013, 05:15 PM
I've never done this, but if you live where someone sells dry-ice (many supermarkets do), then you could use this. It would cool a barrel very fast, I would think without the wet.
If you do this make sure you wrap the chunk of ice in 2 or 3 layers of towels, a buddy of mine tried this once and the only part he had a towel over was the part he was touching and it ended up freezing/burning (whatever you want to call it) off most of his bluing. I always have really good luck with my .243 (which after 10 shots gets hotter then hell!) with one of those Frog Togs Chilly Pads soaked just in water. After each 3 round group I shoot I go down to check the target and just wrap it on the barrel and it works like a charm. Here in Kentucky it gets deadly hot in the summer so even in the terrible humidity we have this still works good.

Three44s
09-21-2013, 07:53 AM
I'd say just use the previous poster's idea about using a funnel but just swing it towards DC and let all that air from the wind bags blow the heat out but alas all the air coming from Washington is HOT AIR ......... it would be counterproductive!

Sometime back I remember about a tool called "Sea Breeze" but I've searched for it and it must of gone off the market faster than it came on.

I think a lot of the ideas put forth thus far gives us all something to chew on ..... enterprising souls that we are ............

I would rather use dry air and wait a little longer and not have to use patches to remove liquid at the range myself. The trouble with air is it does not remove heat from metal very quickly. I'd see an advantage in using a restriction on an air nozzle with a rubber tip that you could insert and let it BLEED off for a little while being more efficient than a quick blast. The idea of a fan and a funnel certainly has merit.

Freon certainly has merit as it .... like compressed air .......... is dumping even colder gas because the drop in pressure but you are buying something to essentially dump.

I think two of those cooling pads would work ......... the second one for around my neck?

Best regards

Three 44s

5spd
09-21-2013, 09:41 PM
When I am popping p-dogs I drape a double wrapped cut tee shirt I made to fit over my barrel, soaked in water over it and just keep that wet. Works great & simple to make.
Other times I have just dunked it in a creek w/ bolt out of it next to one of the places I shoot out here...(plastic stock), run my rod through it a few times and back to shooting. No effect yet except more dead p-dogs.