PDA

View Full Version : How old is my Savage?

whitetail8827
01-30-2010, 07:27 PM
Just took delivery on a "new" 12btcss that has a serial number G87XXX. From my research, it appears other folks were receiving the same gun 2 weeks ago with H004XX serials. I am concerned that I may have an outdated version. Already have an issue with the laminate finish. Noted the rear swivels were dinged too. My be that I have a used gun?? I own a borescope and will be looking into the barrel soon. What do you think?

Blue Avenger
01-30-2010, 07:36 PM
what you did not like the answer from your other post? you have a rifle that has spent time sitting in warehouses and store shelves. it finely made it to the top of the pile and your home. I sure there is nothing more sinister then that. If you want to research its history, ask the dealer how long he had it and where he got it then you can ask the wholesaler the same. they all have records with dates if they have the time to look.
your bore scope will show it has been fired.

Dangerous Dan
01-30-2010, 08:37 PM
As Blue Avenger Sad I Am Shire You Have a New Gun . If The Gun Box Was Opened There Is a Chance That The Gun Had Been Put On The Shelf ,Or You May Have Bought It Off The Shelf and In That Case It Has Been Handled It and Even Bumped , Heck Some Guns Set For a Long Time Way More Than 2 Weeks . I Would Not Worry at all DD

Uncle Jack
01-30-2010, 08:58 PM
I'm not sure what the problem is. Is there something wrong with the rifle? Is it damaged? Does it not shoot well? I really do not understand what the serial number has to do with anything. I certainlly do not see any hidden agenda here.

uj

sharpshooter
01-31-2010, 01:39 AM
Your gun was made last year about this time.

dogngun
02-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Back when my local Walmart was still selling rifles, I bouight a Savage package rifle in .243 with an "older" SN. It had been warehoused for some time at the distributors, again for some time at the Walmart distribution point, and had just arrived at the local Wally World a few days before I took it home. It is nothing terrible - not even very unusual - for SN's to be aged slightly especially among large manufacturers such as Savage.

FWIW, I have an old S&W revolver. The frame was made in 1919, and never assembled or sold till 1946, when it went out as a complete revolver as part of the second Brazilian Contract. There is nothing wrong with the gun at all, in fact it has some collectable interest to those who are interested in that stuff. It presently is guarding my sock drawer...it still works just fine.
Enjoy your rifle.
mark

steveinwv
02-01-2010, 01:31 PM
It presently is guarding my sock drawer...it still works just fine.
mark

You must have some nice socks.

utbrowningman
02-01-2010, 02:04 PM
I just purchased a new AC 114 with a SN of G54XXXX which (after a call to Savage) put the manufacture date as September 2006. It's still new and still mine.

Arclight
02-01-2010, 09:36 PM
New member here hi to all. I traded out a 1911 for a Savage 110 30.06 with a thumb hole laminate stock and really like this rifle. I can't believe the accuracy
it has. .25" group at around 130 yds. My main question is what year is this. Ser. F90xxxxx. Thanks

whitetail8827
02-03-2010, 07:34 PM
SharpShooter is on. Savage gave me a February 2009 date of manufacture. My concern was that any design changes that occured recently may not be in the gun. I had ordered the piece from a show in SC with the anticipation that those orders were going to be the latest and greatest models. As it is, the stock is not acceptable and is going back. Glue left on the surface did not take the stain correctly. Have not shot it yet, but have a Nikon Coyote 4.5 - 14 BDC mounted on 1 piece Leupold base and Leupold rings, borescoped and awaiting the stock swap.