PDA

View Full Version : stevens 200 long action stock

2002celica
06-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Just started my build on my Stevens 200 long action.
I had my gun Smith a few years ago change the bolt face so I could install my 0.900 bull barrel.
Never got around to getting a stock for it and was trying to keep the cost down. The gun is stagger feed and went on to
Boyds to get a cheap stock. Problem is they don't have one avail in the long action bull barrel. They make them for the short
Action. The one they do have for the long action is factory barrel channel and only can open up to a Max of 0.875. Don't understand
Why they don't make it for a bigger barrel since the do for the short action stock. It will fit barrels up to 1 inch.
Anyone know of a low cost stock that will work?

stangfish
06-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Sand paper wrapped around a suitable tool like a wooden dowel rod can do wonders. If you are doing a wood stock seal the wood after sanding.

2002celica
06-05-2013, 07:11 PM
Ya that's the first thing that crossed my mind. Why not just open up the barrel channel.
Boyd says that u can open the barrel channel up from 0.750 to 0.875 but no bigger so that wont fit
My 0.900 barrel. What I don't get is why do the sell the short action stock with a barrel opening of over 1 inch and
Limit the long action?

cheapshot
06-05-2013, 07:12 PM
The houge overmolded stock is pretty nice and fairly cheap if you dont get the aluminum bedding.

cheapshot
06-05-2013, 08:38 PM
I like this one. I'm sure you can find it cheaper, this was a quick search.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/hogue-savage-110-112-116-top-loading-box-mag-long-action-heavy-barrel-pillar-be-deffc.html

palerider338
06-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Ya that's the first thing that crossed my mind. Why not just open up the barrel channel.
Boyd says that u can open the barrel channel up from 0.750 to 0.875 but no bigger so that wont fit
My 0.900 barrel. What I don't get is why do the sell the short action stock with a barrel opening of over 1 inch and
Limit the long action?

Supply and demand....more demand for the SA.

I just opened up one of Boyds' Thumbhole to accept a .925 bull barrel....still lots of meat left to work with. Just take it slow until you open up the channel enough.

2002celica
06-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Supply and demand....more demand for the SA.

I just opened up one of Boyds' Thumbhole to accept a .925 bull barrel....still lots of meat left to work with. Just take it slow until you open up the channel enough.

What was the stock width of the barrel channel at the end?

stangfish
06-05-2013, 11:32 PM
I did it to one inch plus the width of the sandpaper on mine. Does it look factory? No. Does it look good? Yes. after all .025 isn't really all that much.

jonbearman
06-06-2013, 12:01 AM
Why not try stockys and see what he has.I have bought several from him and they were all good and had lots of meat to open them up.

thomae
06-06-2013, 06:18 AM
If you do a careful search on Numrich's web site, you are bound to find something. It may take a while, though...their search engine is not optimized for easy searches.

palerider338
06-06-2013, 10:11 AM
What was the stock width of the barrel channel at the end?

Took it to 1.250 inch and still have about .250+ left on either side. Sealed the inside of the channel with black High Heat engine enamel.

mattri
06-06-2013, 10:36 AM
What kind of a stock are you looking for? Hunting sporter, varminter, bench rest?

2002celica
06-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Thanks everyone found a stock. Called boyds and they are hooking me up :)
Now if I could just find one for the wife's axis:(

big honkin jeep
06-06-2013, 08:13 PM
I had obtained a heavy factory takeoff from a model 10 BA in .308 and installed it on an old 110 flatback action. Out of cash and in need of a stock
I opened up the channel on a factory synthetic by heating it in boiling water (turkey fryer)) and forcing a large wooden dowel (oversized broom handle) from the stock out past the fore end. Then I wrapped it up with tape and let it cool. I did have to dremel the bottom at the tip of the barrel channel just a little before heating it to open it up. It's been that way for quite some time now and works just fine.Plenty of clearance and I have noticed no appreciable flex or touching and this little econorig is quite a shooter. Yes you can push the stock into the barrel with the stock in one hand and the barrel in the other and make contact but in real world shooting conditions in the field or at the range, it does not flex if propped up on a tree or riding the bags to to take a shot. Sure to get the "cork sniffers" in an uproar if you tell em how it's done but but believe me this dog will hunt. Cant get much lower cost than that.
Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without. sometimes re purposing just makes sense.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/bighonkinjeep/charliesbeaterto10p_zps4b9afc03.jpg (http://s176.photobucket.com/user/bighonkinjeep/media/charliesbeaterto10p_zps4b9afc03.jpg.html)
Pardon the crappy cell phone pic.