PDA

View Full Version : Removing factory camo?

03mossy
06-05-2013, 10:54 AM
I have a 270wsm barrel that is in Mossy oak brush camo from the factory. I was just going to hit it with paint stripper and some elbow grease to remove it but it feels as though the barrel itself is "ribbed" underneath. Can someone clarify this?

blfuller
06-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Maybe when they profiled the barrel the feed rate on the lathe was too fast producing ridges and the bore wasn't exactly concentric with the barrel blank. They may not have took it down far enough to make it concentric around the full barrel diameter. You would think that Should be around the full barrel circumference. Most likely isn't supposed to be that way.

JCalhoun
06-06-2013, 10:37 PM
Are you doing just the barrel or the stock? If you have a plastic stock the stripper may damage it.

03mossy
06-06-2013, 11:26 PM
Are you doing just the barrel or the stock? If you have a plastic stock the stripper may damage it.

Just the barrel. I bought the barrel on here that came with a stock last year but the stock was for a centerfeed so I sold it. I have a duramaxx stock now for it with a pretty decent paint job. So my choices are...A- strip the barrel of its Camo . B-get the stock dipped to match. C-put it together as is with the blued action and call her Frankenstein lol

jb6.5
06-07-2013, 10:19 AM
I've got a 10 predator 22 250 that was in the same camo. The copper solvent took ti off around the muzzle, looked awful. Went to walmart and got some kind of citrus striper can't remember the name but it worked fine.

FW Conch
06-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Just paint the barrel ?

03mossy
06-07-2013, 11:22 AM
I've got a 10 predator 22 250 that was in the same camo. The copper solvent took ti off around the muzzle, looked awful. Went to walmart and got some kind of citrus striper can't remember the name but it worked fine.

Was your barrel ribbed underneath the camo?

03mossy
06-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Just paint the barrel ?

ya know I never thought of that but can't see why that wouldn't work. The stock looks like it was just a krylon paint job.

taroman
06-07-2013, 12:17 PM
I have one of the same camo dipped Savages.
The coating has started to peel off the barrel.
The surface looks to me as if the exterior was lathe-turned, leaving machining marks.
Its going to the local Cerakote applicator tonight.
He says the abrasive blast will quickly blast the camo away.
Will get it back next week.
Then its into a new Bobby Hart LRT stock from the Stocky's sale.

davemuzz
06-07-2013, 01:51 PM
FWIW,

About 5 years ago I did the real "fancy" Brownell's paint on my stock. Then on my barrel and scope I just used Rustolem paint. The Rustolem has held up as good if not better than the more expensive Brownell's stuff. Should I choose to camo a future stock\barrel\scope, my first choice will be spray Rustoleum.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/davemuzz/Stevens%20Fireball/IMAG0034.jpg

03mossy
07-29-2013, 12:32 PM
Well I went ahead and tackled it this weekend. I used some gel furniture stripper I had in the shop and it made short work of that camo, it melted it right off. Don't know why but I forgot my safety glasses I always wear and had a drop of the stripper land on my eye lid, man that's a new definition of burn!!! Just glad it wasn't the eyeball! After I got all the camo off it was time to get the ribs out. I laid the barrel on my work bench and rolled it back and forth with my palm sander. Took awhile but it came out perfectly smooth and ready for duracoat.