PDA

View Full Version : Criterion 260 match OAL

simplerider
06-04-2013, 08:32 AM
After getting my stock in last week, I finally got my 260 built. Now my problem is getting the throat measurement to the lands. I have a 260 Hornady modified case on backorder since January and no one else has one in stock.

Can anyone who has a Criterion 260 match chambered barrel give me a OAL measurement for a 142gr SMK to the lands? I am hoping to get an average of others measurements and go from there.

missed
06-04-2013, 08:46 AM
If you have a piece of new brass or one that has been full length sized you can drill and tap the primer pocket and ream out the case mouth a bit for the bullet to slide freely and your in business. I did one of these for a buddys .223 AI

simplerider
06-04-2013, 09:02 AM
I don't have nor am I able to find the correct sized tap to do that. I would have to order one and wait another week or so.

stomp442
06-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Why don't you just do it the old fashioned way and seat a bullet long and then close your bolt.

derrelw
06-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Or you can use 2 wooden dowels.
With the bolt closed on an empty chamber insert a dowel into the muzzle end of the barrel until it touches the bolt face and mark the dowel with a pencil at the barrel crown.
Pull the bolt and insert a bullet (NOT a loaded cartridge!) of your choice into the chamber and hold it against the rifling with the second dowel. Now mark the first dowel at the barrel crown again with it touching the tip of the bullet.
Measure the distance between the 2 lines and you have your cartridge OAL.

That will be your max OAL and I would start a few thousands short of that measurement for my load development.

stangfish
06-12-2013, 11:14 AM
I like it.