PDA

View Full Version : winchester 22-250 brass

quickkillaught6
06-03-2013, 05:59 PM
well guys an gals. I have reloaded now for awhile and have yet come up with this little situation. bought 400 pieces of new in bag winchester brass. went through and FL sized, cleaned flash holes, chamfered case mouths sorted by weight and trimmed. THEN the priming begans after of course tumbling because everyone knows shiny brass shoots better :-) with all that said i begin pushing primers in. ONLY TO FIND OUT that MOST ALL OF THE 400 pieces of brass HAVE lOOSE PRIMER POCKETS.... now for those that may suggest a hot load let me reiterate. THIS ISSSS NEEEEEW BRASSSSSSS NEVER FIRED!!!!! I'm at a loss I dont want to spend $109 for lupua 100 pieces but im lost...Using WLR primers.. to clarify anyone else have this problem?

laportecharlie
06-03-2013, 07:16 PM
If you can't return it to the seller, contact Winchester directly. I would bet they would make it right and replace with more than you bought to make up for all your prep labor.
Charlie

scope eye
06-03-2013, 07:24 PM
You could also try a different brand of primer's, but they still should not be loose anyway.

Dean

JCalhoun
06-04-2013, 01:43 AM
I agree. Try different primers. Some are slightly smaller/larger than others.

earl39
06-04-2013, 11:03 AM
wolf or tula primers tend to be a bit larger

fgw_in_fla
06-04-2013, 11:10 AM
If you don't send it back, try CCI primers. I like Fed brass but after 3 - 4 uses the primer pockets won't hold a WLR tightly. CCI seems to fit tighter with the well used Fed brass.

quickkillaught6
06-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Well update, I talked to the shop owners that I purchased the brass from and they said(we can try to help out the best we can) I went directly to Winchester with my problem as the local store is very small. I spoke with a man named Donnie after a few minutes on the phone I knew things would be ok. He sent the ups man to my house the next day with a shipping tag. I sent back all 4 bags, full of the unusable brass. I told him of my trip coming up in late July to the prairie dog fields and he said "well how do you want to handle this, as we won't be making 22-250 brass until mid July and I doubt you'll see it soon enough to get it loaded?" I told him I would just purchase a few hundred pieces of LAPUA brass as it has really good reviews. He says to me: "who do you want the check made out too?" I said what do you mean sir? He said if you send me reciets for your brass ill send you a check! I was kinda flabbergasted.
I told him I had no problems with Win products and didnt feel I was owed anymore than what I had purchased and if they could look over the brass and right the wrong I'd be more than happy. It got sent in the mail the next day we will see.
As to trying different primers I measured CC-250's and WLR's as that was all I had on hand. And they both measured .210 when the primer pockets measured .211 plus I wasn't going to waste anymore of my stock of primers. I'll let them deal with it. Looks like ill be biting the brass so to speak and getting me some expensive brass until I hear back from the good people at Win.

quickkillaught6
06-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Alright fellas, I just wanted to let everyone know the outcome of my conundrum. First off Id like to tip my hat to Winchester. I recieved a call from them just the other day from Donnie, I had originally purchased 4 bags of 100ct brass. out of that 400 i had 238 usable pieces. Donnie was aware that i was leaving for my prairie dog trip at the end of july and told me they had recieved my brass and they were in fact at the maximum diamensions for the primer pockets some over. He also said, "there were a few in the once fired bag that were, lets just say stretched a bit" I told him I was aware of this and so was my ejector. The focus was on the new brass not holding primers. He quickly said "we wont start production on brass till the end of july, I hope a check is fine" I was tickled to death. 2 days later sitting on my desk. Donnie way to go man. Thank you all for listening and with this being my first experience with Winchesters customer service I'll give them 10 out of 10.

fgw_in_fla
06-29-2013, 01:45 AM
That sounds quite similar to my "defective primer" situation I had last year. I had 2 boxes of WLR's with 1000 primers each. Every 5th or 6th primer would burn thru the back & really made a mess of the bolt faces on 3 rifles.
After I sent him 10 Winchester WLR primers seated in .243 brass he called me & asked about the cost for bolt heads. He ended up sending me a manufacturers coupon in the amount of $175 to buy 2 new boxes of WLR's & replace the bolt heads.
I thought it was very cool of him to act on my situation so quickly.

Anyway - do you happen to have his (Donnie's) phone / extension number? I have another Winchester issue & need to get in touch with him

quickkillaught6
06-29-2013, 11:05 AM
Pm. Sent