PDA

View Full Version : Accu Trigger is slam firing as I close bolt need help???

rotts4u
06-02-2013, 12:26 AM
I was at the range today with my Savage FLCP-K and after shooting several groups (all under .5" at 100 yards) it started dropping the trigger as the bolt closed. It will not actually fire but the trigger will fall but engage the firing pin because the accutrigger is not "activated" by my finger. It was also firing with a very light trigger touch a few times too.

I kept shooting then it got to where it would drop the trigger every time I closed the bolt. So I quit shooting it and packed it up. After getting home and looking it over I cant figure it out but if I completely remove the trigger guard it doesn't do it. I swapped trigger guards with another identical rifle in 308 and the 223 still does it but the 308 with the 223 trigger guard does not.

I didn't try changing the accutrigger over to the other gun but I did remove it and clean fully and put it back and it still does it. I cant figure what it is in the trigger guard that is bumping the trigger and causing it to click upon bolt closure. Have any of your had this and if so what did you do to fix it back?

Thanks

stangfish
06-02-2013, 02:10 AM
There is not enough tension on the trigger spring. If the setting is too loose then the sear bypasses the ledge on the trigger that maintains the sear in the cocked position. Tighten the spring tension on the trigger. If you are messing with your trigger trying to get a 6 oz trigger pull stop it. //////////////:cool:

thomae
06-02-2013, 07:49 AM
What Stangfish said is correct. Increase the tension on your trigger spring, and throw just a little bit of loctite or nail polish in there to keep the spring from vibrating loose.

rotts4u
06-02-2013, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the feedback and I will try to adjust the trigger tension UP. I had not ever adjusted the trigger at all. I had this rifle for over a year and it just started doing this for no particular reason that I can tell. I did take the rifle out of the stock a few weeks back to clean the barrel channel up from excess bore solvent etc that gets in there but otherwise I have not adjusted the trigger at all. After reading your post I had to go get the box to even find the trigger adjustment screwdriver still in the plastic bag. I didnt even know it came with this. Ill give it a try and report back. I am still confused as to why it doesnt slam the trigger closed when the trigger guard is off thought.

stangfish
06-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Before you make an adjustment can you give us a little more info. Is this a trigger gaurd bolt release model? When you reassembled did you stnd the gun up resting on the but before you tightened the action screws?

If it is off in the stock there may be an obstruction holding the trigger to far away from the sear. Not sure but a thought.

BillPa
06-02-2013, 09:44 AM
I am still confused as to why it doesnt slam the trigger closed when the trigger guard is off thought.

The WOP spring tension also serves as the trigger reset. Reduce or increase one you reduce or increase the other. Anything making contact, a trigger guard with the trigger for example, will affect both.

Another factor is the sear. Unlike the trigger WOP spring, the sear torsion spring only serves to reset the sear, however its ability to fully reset can be restricted by making contact with the stock.

One or both of those conditions can cause inconsistent or prevent sear to trigger engagement altogether. If it works without the trigger guard one of two things may be happening. One, the guard is contacting the trigger or two, when the screw is tightened it's flexing the action or pulling it deepen into the inletting causing the sear to make contact with the stock.

Bill

rotts4u
06-02-2013, 01:27 PM
After fiddling with it for 2 hours last night I got up this morning as I was cleaning brass etc and turned the trigger adjustment spring a turn and presto no more slam fires. You guys were exactly right. I had noticed lately that the trigger was REALLY light as in I would occasionally let one go before intending to. So I guess it got loose maybe when taking the rifle out of the stock etc.

Its 100% now. Thanks everyone

eddiesindian
06-02-2013, 06:31 PM
metal to metal contact will wear into each other just as the manual states. but alls well that ends well,

surfcitydude
06-04-2013, 07:56 PM
This has been discussed several times but since you just started having the problems, you should know the facts. If you Google AccuTrigger problems, you'll get tons of shooters having the same issue. Savage is aware of it but the solution they told me was to increase the trigger pull to 4lbs or more. When I asked why it fails at lower setting (that they happily advertise) they offered to take a look at it, but doubts there is a problem. Bottom line, good concept, terrible design. Do yourself a favor and take that crap out of your gun and replace it with one of the quality triggers out there. I bought the Rifle Basix unit and absolutely love it. Have mine adjusted to alb. and never slam fires. SSS makes a trigger as does Timney. One thing I wold advise is buy a complete trigger unit, not just the replacement trigger part. Much better designs and adjustable.

rotts4u
07-05-2013, 10:29 PM
I thought I had this problem behind me after adjusting the spring tension up. On the next range trip the same thing started happening after about 15 rounds. About one round out of 3-4 it would slam fire on bolt closure thus locking up the trigger. Sometimes I could reset the bolt and it would work sometimes I had to cycle the bolt 3-4 times to get it to actually fire. My other rifles dont do this so maybe I have a bad trigger on this one. I think Ill just replace it as mentioned above.

rjtfroggy
07-06-2013, 05:58 AM
Replacement is probably not needed. I had the same thing going on with a 308 I built, I readjusted the trigger to the lightest pull It would function properly and then put a small drop of nail polish on it to keep it from backing out during recoil. It is now set at just over a lb. and is flawless.

rotts4u
07-12-2013, 09:11 PM
I finally installed Timney trigger and plan to go shooting tomorrow. Hopefully I got it adjusted correctly.