PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference?

Hovering Sniper
06-01-2013, 10:22 AM
Yesterday I journeyed to the gun shop to purchase brass, bullets and primers for my new Savage 12 BR in 6mm Norma. I wanted to get the best stuff, so I went with Lapua brass, Berger 105 Target VLD, and Remington Benchrest primers (they were all out of CCI). I fully get why Lapua brass and Berger bullets are considered the best, but my question is the primers. What is the difference between Benchrest primers and regular primers, I mean besides the near 50% premium price I paid? Does it really make a difference? And if so, what? Are regular primers inferior?

Thanks

stangfish
06-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Not that long ago BR primers were only about 10 dollar premium. Now that 50 percent of the adult population has a rifle and everything is about accuracy the price has gone up.

I am no expert on this but some things that I consider when looking for accuracy with regards to primers. Powders respond differently to amount of energy provided by a primer. Consistency is critical as well as the amount of energy a primer provides to ignite the powder. In long range shooting this is amplified. Temperatures add another dimension...what works when it is hot may not work so well when it is cold. Volume of powder needs appropriate primer to burn the powder evenly.

acemisser
06-02-2013, 03:56 PM
after years of shooting and trying different primers,etc...I see no difference in accuracy when using the bench rest primers
over the standard ones..you will have to be the judge.Buy a few of each if possible and try them to see if there is a big
difference.Like he said,sometimes the temp. will have a huge effect..

big honkin jeep
06-02-2013, 05:25 PM
In my experience primers can affect a load tremendously. Keeping a decent assortment and trying different ones has become part of my load development ritual. Seeing as how primers are a relatively inexpensive component, testing with them is much cheaper than changing powder and bullets. As far as benchrest primers go I have several loads for rifles that prefer them while several others prefer standard primers. I couldn't believe how well one of my 25-06 loads performed when I changed from CCI BR2s to standard winchester WLRs.
Load development like many things has a lot of trial and error involved.

308law
06-02-2013, 06:06 PM
In small rifle, bench rest primers are thicker and are designed for higher pressures than standard small rifle. You will get a pierced primer faster with standard primers. Small rifle magnum and primers designed for military application are the same thickness as bench rest primers. Standard small rifle primers are designed for old low pressure cartridges like the 22 hornet or the 218 bee. Large rifle primers are all the same thickness and the Magnum or bench rest designation has more to do with the difference in the ignition, bench rest should be more consistent, and magnum should be a little hotter for slower powder.

Hovering Sniper
06-02-2013, 09:47 PM
I never realized. I wondered how much of the gear/components we acquire was due to someone said it was good, therefore it becomes the standard, whereas this sounds like there is a legitimate reason. Thanks for the insight.