PDA

View Full Version : Confused over models

woodlecj
05-30-2013, 10:07 AM
New member here and I am confused over all of the model numbers. I just bought my first Savage model 25 in 22 Hornet and love it. What a shooter!

I want to go get a .223 for varmint hunting and do not mind buying used. Local Walmart has an Axis in 223 for $277, but I don't like the wobbly stock and I really like the Accutrigger on the more expensive guns.

So I'm looking on Gunbroker and the other auction sites and see model 10s, 11s, 12s, 16s etc. Kind of all look a like; what the heck is the difference? Is there a list or table somewhere on here that spells this out better.

What do you all think of this one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=343645407

Thanks,
Craig

airdale
05-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Go to the Savage Arms site and "Browse Models".
http://savagearms.com/firearms/allfirearms/

cheapshot
05-30-2013, 10:56 AM
That there is a fine rifle. I will say this, the axis is an excellent gun. The stock is a little cheap feeling, but with an hour or so of work, it can be much improved. I did a few minutes of work on my trigger and it is more than adequate to handle any hunting duties. Here are a couple of links that might help you in making your decision on whether or not to get the Axis or to spend the extra cash on a 10/110.
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?23580-AXIS-and-EDGE-FAQ-s
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?18711-Axis-Edge-Stock-Reinforcement-Made-Easy-Take-II
Also, the Stevens 200 can be found for under $300 and is the same as the older 10/110s.
Here is a basic breakdown of the models. Very basic
model 10, 14, 16= Short Actions (.223, .243, .308, etc.)
Model 110, 114, 116= Long Actions (30-06, .270, 300WM, etc.)
Anything with a 10 in it is your basic rifle
Anything with a 14 in it is the Classic Hunter series
Anything with a 16 in its is SS
Those are the basics anyways. Hope that helps.

woodlecj
05-30-2013, 11:52 AM
Thanks Cheapshot, that helps quite a bit. When you said "that there is a fine rifle" did you mean my 25 or the 16 listed on GB?

I did browse the Savage web and that only confused me more!

When looking at used rifles, is there any way to tell if it has an Accustock?

cheapshot
05-30-2013, 01:26 PM
Well, I was talking about the model 16 but now that you mention it, you can add the model 25 in there :cool: . As far as the accustock goes, I will defer to someone with experience with those. If you are looking for a knock around hunting rifle, you really cant go wrong with the Axis. I bought one back around the first of the year, only because I got it so cheap and thought if it was a big a piece of junk as I thought it was, I wouldn't be hurt to bad. Man was I wrong. It has become my favorite rifle.

bootsmcguire
05-30-2013, 10:25 PM
Maybe this can assist you in decyphering the Savage coding system. With the letters they are not totally set in stone either, but for the most part this will help.

Short Actions are 2-digit numbers, Long Actions are 3 Digit Numbers
10/110 - Old Designation Sporter Series, Current Designation Law Enforcement Series
11/111 - Current Designation Sporter Series
12/112 - Varmint Series
14/114 - Classic Series (High Luster Blue, High Grade Wood Stocks)
16/116 - Weather Warrior Series (SS, Synthetic, Sporter & Mag Contoured Barrels)
Target Action Guns ( 12 F/TR, 12 F-Class, 12 Palma, Etc.)
Mod. 25 & 40 - Light Vamint Series
Axis - Entry Level Sporter with DBM (all the same action length, but different from 10/110 to 16/116 series')
Stevens 200 - Same as 11/111 except no Accutrigger (old style side bolt release only)

The Axis, 25, and 40 all have different action types then the rest and as such parts are generally not compatible, except Axis barrels are compatable with standard shank Savage. Axis Triggers can be modified to work with the Accu-trigger and there are now aftermarket choices.

AK - Adjustable Muzzle Brake
B - Laminate Stock
BT - Laminated Thumbhole Stock
C - Clip (Detachable Box Magazine)
F - Synthetic Stock
G - Hardwood Stock
H - Hinged Floorplate
L - Left Hand
ML - Muzzleloader
NS - No Sights
P - Police
SS - Stainless Steel
SR - Supressor Ready (Threaded Muzzle)
T - (Rimfire) Peep Sights
V - Long-Range (Heavy Barrel)
XP - Package Gun
Y - Youth

Now on the 10 thru 116 guns, most the newer guns are going to the bottom bolt release and have centerfeed magazines. The older ones have the side release and were made with centerfeed magazines and Staggerfeed magazines (older and on longer made). However there are certain new models that still retain the side bolt release (example: The Hog Hunter series).

Westcliffe01
05-30-2013, 10:40 PM
Most 10's or 12's will not disappoint. The model 11 has been getting some bad press lately. Defective barrels, plastic magazines, even in models that are quite pricey ($750+). It seems like Savage has taken some parts developed on the axis and started fitting them to the model 11. If you are not familiar with the Savage blind magazine, you might want to try it before you buy. it is not like a Remington, Browning or a Ruger, that is for sure. The DBM models work great and in the 10 and 12 they are real "metal" magazines and bottom metal, not plastic.

If buying used, take something to measure and try to only buy a "modern" version which is 4.4" between action screws on the short action. Otherwise it becomes a lot harder to find replacement stocks and the like. Also avoid the older actions that had the "flat back". The current action which is completely cylindrical you can get lots of different 1 piece picatinny rails for and of course they have the accutrigger. Model 12's also have stainless models, in addition to the 14. Several of the 12's have really nice laminated stocks, a bit heavy perhaps.

bootsmcguire
05-30-2013, 11:02 PM
Not to contradict Westcliffe01, but the "older" actions have just as much going for them. The 4.40" is the current SA spacing, but the 4.27" actions with the staggerfeed magazines were made with the same round rear as the 4.40" actions, and almost every stock available for the 4.40" SA was already being made for the 4.27" SA and still are. Also there are many different brands of 1pc. bases that are made for the earlier actions with the flat rear, even the 20MOA bases. Also the round rear 4.27" SA's were available with the accu-trigger.

The only Savage 10/110 styled action that is tougher to restock is the Intermediate "J-Series" action with the 4.522" screw spacing. These actions used a unique bolt body length and the different screw spacing. These didn't last all that long in production, but they are out there. The 1958-65 made 110's also used a bolt and chamber system that were more Remington style. 1966 and newer are the current family base for Savage.

All of that said, my personal preference is the Centerfeed 4.40" SA and the Centerfeed LA. I just prefer the Centerfeed magazines for feeding and loading. However that has not stopped me from buying Staggerfeed and Flat-Rear type actions for my builds. One of favorite and more accurate Savages is one of the older Flat-rear LA's with the SA-SF Mag box.

As long as its not the 4.522" action or a pre-'66 action, you can build a great rifle from it without major conversions or semi-custom inlet stocks. JMHO.

woodlecj
05-31-2013, 03:49 PM
Gentlemen, appreciate your guidance as I know this has been asked before, but kind of in bits and pieces in various threads here. My understanding was 11 was short action, 111 was long action. I was at Cabelas today looking at the combo deal in .223 offered with the Nikon scope and swear it was a 111. I could be confused though.

Thx,
Craig

bootsmcguire
05-31-2013, 05:12 PM
Gentlemen, appreciate your guidance as I know this has been asked before, but kind of in bits and pieces in various threads here. My understanding was 11 was short action, 111 was long action. I was at Cabelas today looking at the combo deal in .223 offered with the Nikon scope and swear it was a 111. I could be confused though.

Thx,
Craig

You are correct, 11 is a Short action, 111 is a Long action. I have noticed that several stores/shops put up signs and price tags that label Savages as 110, 111, 112, 114, or 116 regaurdless of action length.

Go by what is stamped on the barrel for new guns.

With used guns this normally applies, but you never know with a used one if someone else switched the barrel or not, if the script lines up properly then its probably the factory set barrel. I have yet to see a barrel that was switched and the script lined up perfectly on a different action. The older Savages were all built on Long Actions and would be stamped 111, etc. even for Short action calibers. Short calibers just got a shorter magazine back in the ol' days.