PDA

View Full Version : The purpose of a recoil lug

Pages : 1 [2]

fgw_in_fla
05-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Well since we're yack'n 'bout recoil lugs and fess'n up to dumb stuff ..... I'm guess'n some of you have seen the "Ye Auld Action Ripper Outer". For those who haven't .....
http://i43.tinypic.com/2ajosi9.jpg

When installing pillars I attach them to the action and glue them in and bed the action both in one shot. One was ready to come apart, but it was stuck, wouldn't budge. I tried rocking it, giving the barrel a few good upward whacks with a rubber mallet.... no luck.

Enter the Action Ripper outer!!!! It worked it's magic once again. Not only did it remove the action, but the pillar attached to it also. Some knucklehead only removed one screw, the rear screw.

I don't feel so bad now...
And don't you just hate it when that happens?....

fgw_in_fla
05-30-2013, 10:13 PM
Hey!....
Maybe the name of this thread needs to be changed to "Confessions"?

stangfish
05-30-2013, 10:36 PM
LOL, Father forgive me for I have sinned..............

davemuzz
05-30-2013, 10:47 PM
Well guys......those are some stories. Frank.....I'm glad you just got scope eye....and man.....next time just reverse your undies. After all....that's what I do!! I'll post a few of mine when I have some time.....I'll keep you in suspense!!!

Dave

palerider338
05-31-2013, 03:45 PM
I can see I'm in very vaunted company here......I only epoxied the front action screw in the first time out. ;)

pitsnipe
05-31-2013, 04:27 PM
Frank,

I admire you from afar. I dont care WHAT muzz sayz about you. OK, maybe nothin. Hate those "extra parts" like when yer buildin the kids bike on Christmas Eve and didnt know that they included a few extra nuts or bolts because the directions applied to SEVERAL models of that Wall Mart special. Details, details.

fgw_in_fla
05-31-2013, 04:39 PM
Frank,

I admire you from afar. I dont care WHAT muzz sayz about you. OK, maybe nothin. Hate those "extra parts" like when yer buildin the kids bike on Christmas Eve and didnt know that they included a few extra nuts or bolts because the directions applied to SEVERAL models of that Wall Mart special. Details, details.

I believe there's 2 types of extra parts.....
Type 1 - Critical / totally necessary parts
Type 2 - Those parts leftover & deemed useless by the assembler.

MrMajestic
05-31-2013, 10:59 PM
If you put something together and have hardware left but it works, It was over-engineered!

Edwards
06-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Thanks Frank...if not for ur info I and others may have ended with the same dirty drawers.

I started removing wood dor the lug and ran into wait looks to an alum bed. Gonna call Boyd Monday for more info. About the tacticool

fgw_in_fla
06-01-2013, 08:25 PM
If you put something together and have hardware left but it works, It was over-engineered!

EXACTLY!!!!!!

And, by the way, little things like what I mentioned earlier, as well as a few other boo - boos along the way have taught me to always exercise extreme caution. Look at things from the simplest angle first & NEVER lose sight of the fact that your rifle (or pistol) utilizes a controlled explosion to send the projectile.
And you're holding it 4 inches from your face.
Check things thoroughly. Check then, check again. No room to screw up. You could be seriously injured like getting hit in the mug with a scope still attached to a receiver.....

davemuzz
06-01-2013, 11:05 PM
Or worse!!.....You could get a sever case of scope eye from a scope that somehow got detached from a receiver for no apparent reason. Like.....I thought I tightened those screws???.....OR...Do you know how far a loose scope can fly from a 30-06 recoil?

fgw_in_fla
06-01-2013, 11:37 PM
Or worse!!.....You could get a sever case of scope eye from a scope that somehow got detached from a receiver for no apparent reason. Like.....I thought I tightened those screws???.....OR...Do you know how far a loose scope can fly from a 30-06 recoil?

Can't say I've ever launched a scope before. I did have some mounting screws come loose just enough to drive me crazy. Each shot was a minimum of 3 inches away from the previous shot. Using ammo that was known to be accurate.

tammons
06-01-2013, 11:37 PM
Got a weird one. Browning blr 243 dednutz scope mount, 2nd shot the screws sheared off even with the top of the receiver, IE buried.
Scope lifted off in mid shot but no scope eye.

My dad dropped it on the scope a few years ago, and I can only think that it must have fractured the screws. Dednutz said if you over torque the heads will twist off and he said he had never heard of base screws shearing like that.

Edwards
06-02-2013, 10:15 PM
So I've removed the the material for the recoil lug ...I know I am going to glass bed the action.....while drilling the hole for the front action screw, I found that the material in the mag well was thinner than I thought.

My two thoughts
1. Wood filler to fill in existing 5" action hole as well as the front portion of the mag well. Then drill front action and prep for bedding.
2. Bed the action as is and the portion of the mag well. Once bedding is done then drill for the front action.

Who's done it correctly and who's made some mistakes. Thanks guys