PDA

View Full Version : 6.5x55 load development

thomae
05-29-2013, 10:05 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-qon4_bEpvMo/UaayPXyjYXI/AAAAAAAABtk/UJX2zu2hCJo/s800/2013%252005%252029%25206point5%2520Swede%2520targe t.jpg

Finally made it out to the range today. Looks promising. Next time I'll have to work it at 200 yards.
The labels "width" is actually height, and vice versa.

The winds changed while I was shooting group B. I like the vertical dispersion and SD, but it was only 3 shots.

I'd like to get the group size of A with a higher velocity.

Shaw barrel from Gunshack goup buy...50 shots through the tube so far.

Westcliffe01
05-29-2013, 11:42 PM
I have been doing my 308x185gr load development in 0.5gr increments. You still have a ways to go to the 45gr max load... I tend to load 5 at a time instead of 3... I just got some 215 Berger Hybrids, those should be interesting... At least I know the recoil will not be much worse than the 200gr bullets out of my 8x57 at 2400fps....

Yours must be a long action ? Are you loading to SAMI length or longer ? I just increased the seating length on my loads and I am no longer compressing powder. The bullets will jam against the rifling when chambering as per David Tubb recommendations. I was a little surprised that my 243 AI in a short action allowed for the 105gr Bergers to be seated way out at 2.9" overall length and still feed out the magazine with no issue.

thomae
05-30-2013, 06:13 AM
I simply had no time to do more...and I find it interesting that I grab a relatively random powder weight and it performs like that (.397moa). I'll have to see if I can repeat it.

I'd do a ladder, but I only have a 200 yard range and when I've tried ladders at 200 before, my results have been inconclusive.

I agree that a 5 shot group would be better...but this is what I had loaded when I finally had some range time.

I'll have to check my length. I'm still under magazine length (yes, long action) and an not jamming into the lands. These are not compressed loads.

I am not sure which loading manual you are referencing, and I know they are all different, but for Imr 4350 - The max published in my Hornady manual is 41.4 grains for a 140 pill, Lyman says 42. I will likely try higher loads, as long as I can approach them safely, but I am not sure I'll get to 45 grains.

mattri
05-30-2013, 07:43 AM
Looks promising- will be watching with interest.

davemuzz
05-30-2013, 08:04 AM
Thomae,

I agree. Those loads do look promising. Even though it appears the groups are opening up with more powder, you know that those groups can close back up when more powder is added.

If 4350 doesn't work out, try RL-22. That's what I use.

Dave

Westcliffe01
05-30-2013, 12:37 PM
Go directly to the company who makes your powder:
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

I also have the Hornady and Berger reloading manuals and rumor has it they are all based on conservative quickload calculations.

redclay33
05-30-2013, 05:54 PM
Looking good! I've had good success with Rl22 and the 140's. Currently working on Rl22 with 129's, which looks very promising.

JeepsAndGuns
05-31-2013, 10:05 AM
What are the specs on your rifle? Barrel length, twist rate, ect..
I have a 28in long, 1-8 twist, 1in bull barrel on my model 111, in 6.5x55. I have found my best accuracy is with Hodgdon Hybrid 100V.
I have shot the 140gr A-max, 140gr SMK, and the berger target BT long range. All 3 of those had their best groups with the H100V, and the best of those 3 bullets was the berger.
All 5 shots in a dime at 100 yards, all 5 in a quarter at 200. Havent had a chance to step out further yet. Rifle is currently disassembled awaiting a T&T as well as some other goodies from SSS.

thomae
05-31-2013, 10:31 AM
Stevens 200 long action
ER Shaw Stainless 26" 1:8 varmint contour barrel (Bought on the forum through a Gun Shack group buy).
PTG Stainless recoil lug (Bought used on the forum from another member)
Boyd's Featherweight Thumbhole Stock (Bought used on the forum from another member).
Barrel channel opened up to freefloat larger barrel.
Second forward sling swivel stud installed for bipod use.
Pachymayr Decelerator Recoil Pad (Bought new, fitted to stock myself using the Miles Gilbert jig).
Stress-free pillar bedded (Lamp rod and JB Weld).
Stainless Trigger guard (Bought used on the forum from another member).
Savage large knob stainless steel bolt handle (Bought used on the forum from another member).
Savage three-screw trigger (Bought used on the forum from another member).
Savage target sear (Bought used on the forum from another member).
EGW 20 MOA base shortened and with forward inch or so milled flat for scope bell clearance. (I can get a sheet of paper between the scope and the forward end of the rail).
Burris Signature Zee rings, medium height.
Bushnell Elite 3200 10 x 42 Mil/Mil scope
.140" (9/64") extractor ball bearing upgrade.

Chamber length (once fired brass measured from base to datum with a Hornady .375" comparator body): 1.7675"

I've taken it out to 1020 yards with H4831SC and 140 grain SST bullets.
I just bought 500 Blemished Amaxes, so I am now trying to see if I can work up a good load with the powders I already happen to have in my inventory.

Mostly, I am trying to use the powders I have on hand before I go out and buy a lot more. (I am keeping track of the other recommended powders, however.)

I know have a long way to go. I've only put 50 rounds through the rifle so far.

Once I get a good load, I'd eventually like to take it out and work on some groundhogs.

davemuzz
05-31-2013, 12:50 PM
I recently purchased 1,000 123gr. Nosler blem's in 6.5mm. I don't have any reloading data on a 123 Nosler Custom Comp, but I figure I can start with some Nosler 120gr data and go from there. I'm pretty sure I'll get these to shoot good....or if not....I'll have 900 bullets left with nothing to do!!!!

Dave