PDA

View Full Version : Budget barrel options

mao0720
05-26-2013, 05:58 PM
Hello all, this is my first post since my introduction, and I hope it's in the right spot. I've got a Savage 10 FCP with the McMillan stock that has about 3000 rnds through it, and it is definitely towards the end of its life. It copper fowls pretty badly now. Admittedly, when I bought the rifle I knew nothing about breaking in a barrel or how to get the most out of my barrel. That being said the rifle shot well, about 1/2 to 1/3 moa on average. But, like I said it copper fowls pretty bad now and I'm looking at my options.
So here's the question. If I buy a stock savage barrel from NSS (my budget is pretty limited), what can I do to help it shoot its best? Will proper barrel break in help to prevent bad copper fowling down the road? Is there anything I can do to get more life out of my current barrel; like JB compound, or having it set back and re chambered?

Thanks for the help!
Mason

palerider338
05-26-2013, 06:14 PM
Give her a GOOD cleaning ....then several applications of MPro 7 until all the copper is removed. After that I would give it a light lapping wit JB Bore bright. FWIW ...I usually hand lap my barrels (used or new ones) with JB before shooting them....makes cleaning a lot easier. Then take it out to the range and shoot it...see what happens.

If you are shooting a 308 you should be getting way more rounds out of that barrel BUT if you decide to replace it then NSS is a good place to check out your options.

mao0720
05-26-2013, 06:35 PM
I'm not familiar with m pro 7. I usually use Sweets 7.62 copper solvent. I will try running some JB through it. I have never used JB though, any tips on using it?

Beekeeper
05-27-2013, 05:20 AM
I'd give it a really good cleaning and get as much of the copper out as possible. Shoot 4-5 fouling shots, and then do a 5 shot group with your prefered ammo and see what happens. I bought my .308 Model 10 in May of 2009, and it's got almost 4000 rounds down the factory barrel. It will still drive 168 grain A-MAX bullets into 1/2" at 100 yards. This past spring the groups opened up to an inch @100 yards so I cleaned the snot out of it, and then ran 20 bullets through it. My groups shrank to about where they had been when I first bought the gun.

Con
05-27-2013, 06:49 AM
Give the current barrel a thorough cleaning and test for accuracy. If still not happy, consider a re-crown or have a 'smith look it over for damage anyway. After that I'd be tempted to cut and shunt and re-chamber but would need to weigh up the cost of a fresh take-off or a better quality pre-threaded/chambered barrel.
Cheers...
Con

MrMajestic
05-27-2013, 07:18 AM
The "Holy Grail" for copper removal!
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/144092/kg-kg-12-big-bore-cleaning-solvent-4-oz
I agree with the rest, give it a good cleaning then hit it with JB's using the proper technique.

palerider338
05-27-2013, 08:29 AM
I'm not familiar with m pro 7. I usually use Sweets 7.62 copper solvent. I will try running some JB through it. I have never used JB though, any tips on using it?

Bore mop or a 22 caliber bore brush wrapped in patches usually does the trick. I generally run it through enough times to where it moves freely.

fla9-40
05-27-2013, 09:40 AM
This is what I use for copper removal....

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/381808/butchs-bore-shine-bore-cleaning-solvent-8-oz-liquid?cm_vc=OBv1144092

I had a friend that his groups opened up on a rifle that was shooting just about the same hole to just over 1.5 MOA. I gave him my Butch's Bore Shine to clean it and the next trip to the range he was shooting the same hole group as usual!

mao0720
05-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Ok, a thorough cleaning will be in order before my next range trip. Ill try to get some JB and run it through the bore too. My usual cleaning regimen is to run hoppies #9 through the bore until I get no powder residue, then I run Sweets 7.62 Copper Solvent through until I get no Copper on the patch. I dont brush, just wet and dry patches with those two solvents.

My other question still stands. What can be done to a brand new factory barrel to ensure that it shoots its best? Proper break in? Lapping? Other ideas?

WYcoyote
05-27-2013, 02:21 PM
You did nothing wrong with your barrel. It sounds like it was a sweet shooter. There are many (myself included) that doubt any benefit from elaborate break-in proceedures.
You could do a bit of research about this, if fouling bothers you. Your old barrel might respond well to it. I just applied it to a Model 16 in .260 last evening.

Dyna Bore Coat

http://www.extremeguncare.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2

Google it and check out the reviews on some other forums.
I did and I'm going to try it.

mao0720
05-28-2013, 09:18 AM
Wycoyote, thanks for the input, and please dont take offense. But that seems like another one of the many snake oil gimmicks on the market for barrels. Otis used to have something similar, and there have several others, too.

stangfish
05-28-2013, 05:58 PM
... that seems like another one of the many snake oil gimmicks on the market for barrels.

Like breaking in a barrel.

mao0720
05-28-2013, 09:30 PM
That may be so, but at least with a barrel break in procedure I dont have to buy a "special" product. Just clean the barrel several times during initial firings.