PDA

View Full Version : Model 25: chambering problems

MARK25-06
05-26-2013, 04:01 PM
new mod. 25, 17 hornet, it wont push the cartrige into the chamber. you have to work the bolt back and forth 2,3 times then it will push it in. just got it back from savage, they say its good to go. but still wont load , took it to the range today, shoots good, but now it wont extract the empty brass. any thoughts??? thanks MARK25-06

stangfish
05-26-2013, 04:12 PM
Nevemind

Have you checked to see if the extractor moves freely?

davemuzz
05-26-2013, 05:16 PM
Mark,

I have this "issue" with my Model 25 in the .17 Hornet when I use my reloaded Berger bullets. When I use the factory ..17 Hornet Bullets they load fine. Now, if and when I ever get a chance to buy some .17 Hornet bullets and reload those, I'll let you know how that works out.

Actually.....and I simply haven't had a chance to do a close scrutiny of this,....I believe what is happening is the bullet is entering the chamber and the brass is "catching" or getting hung up on the beginning of the chamber. Again, I don't have this problem with the Hornady bullets because the Hornady's have a different profile than the Berger's. In your case it may be the position of your magazine in relationship to the chamber. (I'm just SWAG-ing this now) Where your cartridge has a steep entry and the brass is catching the beginning of the chamber.......but again.....just a SWAG.

Dave

davemuzz
06-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Well, I'm working on a load with the 25gr. Berger bullets and after I get that one perfected, I have a box of 20gr.'s to load up and see how they group. The powder that the little .17 seems to like is H-335 and this is the same powder that my .17 Fireball liked as well. I'm "down" to either a 12.0 or a 12.5gr of powder for the 25gr. Berger. My final test will be to run both across a chronograph for speed while shooting at a target for grouping. Once I get that test done, I'll just load up the brass that I have.

I will say that my bolt roughness is disappearing after continued use of the rifle. I did however, put a dab of silicon grease on the bolt spring to help in the break-in process. I will say if you operate the bolt in a "crisp" manner, the extraction and ejection will work just fine. If you have a tendency to baby it, it will give you a few issues.

So, I like the little Model 25. It's accurate, lighter than the Stevens action that I re-barreled into a .17 Fireball, and even tho it's not as pretty with the plastic stock as it would be with the wooden stock.....after a few years of hunting with me....the wooden stock and "pretty" would be questionable anyway.

I haven't held the CZ or the Ruger versions of the 17 Hornets. I'm thinking they are very nice products and probably shoot just as well as my Savage. But then, IMHO it would be hard pressed for either one of them (Ruger or CZ) to shoot better than my Savage if they mounted the same 1-4X scope. It's the target on the left (100 yards) that is my .17 Hornet. Once I got the scope dialed in I got a nice 6 shot cluster in that left quadrant.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/davemuzz/photo-29_zps377a0b74.jpg

So, I'm very happy with the 17 Hornet from Savage. Yes, a few rough spots in the beginning, but now that those seem to be worked out, I believe this one's a keeper.

Dave

Orange_Crush
06-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Hey that's a standard feature on these rifles :)
Seriously I had the same problems with mine and a local gun smith showed me one that had a broken extractor as a result of the owner trying to extract a stubborn case.

plinkin
06-09-2013, 02:43 AM
Have you tried different ammo manufacturers?

Have you checked to see if the extractor moves freely?

There is ONLY Hornady 17 Hornet

stangfish
06-09-2013, 03:07 AM
:bolt:

XNAVYORDIE
06-11-2013, 09:09 PM
I'm giving up on my mod 25 17 Hornet......sending it to Savage. Another forum I am on a couple sent theirs in and they were returned smooth as glass. I really need to have this thing up and running. I bought it for a night hunting rig for fox/bobcat/yote. I can deal with the FTF/FTE in the daylight when punching Ghogs.....but may need that follow-up shot and don't need these aging eyes straining in the dark...

Sure is an accurate thing....susch a shame Savage dropped the ball on quality.

plinkin
06-11-2013, 10:34 PM
I'm giving up on my mod 25 17 Hornet......sending it to Savage. Another forum I am on a couple sent theirs in and they were returned smooth as glass. I really need to have this thing up and running. I bought it for a night hunting rig for fox/bobcat/yote. I can deal with the FTF/FTE in the daylight when punching Ghogs.....but may need that follow-up shot and don't need these aging eyes straining in the dark...

Sure is an accurate thing....such a shame Savage dropped the ball on quality.

They definitely have made a running change in the M25. At one of the local gun shops I saw a new M25 (serial H985000) in .223 Rem. Instead of being a glossy blued finish it is a bead blasted matte. I also checked the bolt and dry fired it. It works as smooth as M12. I would like to know what they are doing. Mine is freeing up but I still have an occasional feed issue. However the way this thing has started to shoot is AMAZING!

XNAVYORDIE
06-12-2013, 08:11 AM
They definitely have made a running change in the M25. At one of the local gun shops I saw a new M25 (serial H985000) in .223 Rem. Instead of being a glossy blued finish it is a bead blasted matte. I also checked the bolt and dry fired it. It works as smooth as M12. I would like to know what they are doing. Mine is freeing up but I still have an occasional feed issue. However the way this thing has started to shoot is AMAZING!

Mine is the matte finish with synthetic stock (serial #H7255XX). It dry fires crisp and the bolt is smooth as long as it is not feeding a round or extracting a fired case. Shot dime sized groups at 100yds since the first day at the range and has 5 headshots on Ghogs....love the accuracy, hate the quality.

plinkin
06-12-2013, 09:09 AM
Mine is the matte finish with synthetic stock (serial #H7255XX). It dry fires crisp and the bolt is smooth as long as it is not feeding a round or extracting a fired case. Shot dime sized groups at 100yds since the first day at the range and has 5 headshots on Ghogs....love the accuracy, hate the quality.

I wonder if only the black stocks are/were matte finish. My 17H is H791xxx. The .223 I was looking at was a laminate stock though. Kind of pricey, they have it for $699 & it wasn't even a thumb hole.

XNAVYORDIE
06-12-2013, 11:21 AM
I wonder if only the black stocks are/were matte finish. My 17H is H791xxx. The .223 I was looking at was a laminate stock though. Kind of pricey, they have it for $699 & it wasn't even a thumb hole.

The people that I know of with issues all have the same model (Black synthetic/matte finish) and all are early production. The folks with the laminate stocks/polished blue action/barrels seem to have no complaints that I have heard......

plinkin
06-12-2013, 12:48 PM
The people that I know of with issues all have the same model (Black synthetic/matte finish) and all are early production. The folks with the laminate stocks/polished blue action/barrels seem to have no complaints that I have heard......

Both my 25's are high gloss & laminate and they both have had common M25 issues.