PDA

View Full Version : Question on changing brass

Pages : [1] 2

IUOE
05-26-2013, 03:46 PM
I worked up a load with winchester brass that was previously fire formed in my gun, the load ended up 1 gr. less than listed max with no signs of overpressure. As I sat back at the loading bench I got to thinking. How much difference would changing to Hornady or Federal brass that has also been fire formed to my chamber really make. Is this a no-no or would it not make much difference? Thanks for any advice.

eddiesindian
05-26-2013, 04:36 PM
neck tension. after collet sizing, the case is still formed to your chamber but the neck is resized according to the mandrels/decapper size.
your still dealing with different stiffness of the brass though.
Id say got for it, chrono it, see what gives

earl39
05-26-2013, 04:46 PM
You may also be dealing with different case capacity which can change pressures.

fgw_in_fla
05-26-2013, 05:24 PM
I find Win brass will hold more powder than Fed or Rem. Hornady similar to Fed.
Usually when I work up a load I tune it to whichever brass gives the best accuracy. Differences in brass are subtle but enough to change the point of impact a little. Many times even close of open a group by using a different brass.

Remember: If it was easy, everyone would be able to do it.....

stangfish
05-26-2013, 07:00 PM
:pop2:

davemuzz
05-26-2013, 07:07 PM
The long range shooters always sort their brass by brand and if possible, by lot #'s. They do this for a reason.....consistency. You can bet that if your going to switch from Win brass to a better quality brass such as Hornady, Lapua, or Norma, the POI is going to change along with the pressure of the load.

I can tell you that I load only Lapua or Norma brass for my 6.5x55 Swede. I load these to about 1.5gr over the recommend max for one specific powder and that is what gives me excellent results. I've loaded this in Win brass and I will get at best 3 reloads before I get the magic ring of case head separation. When using Lapua or Norma brass, I will get 15 to 20 reloads each.

That tells you something.

Dave

fgw_in_fla
05-26-2013, 07:20 PM
:pop2:

Smart Alec....

stangfish
05-26-2013, 07:22 PM
What? I just sat down to have some popcorn and enjoy the discussion.

scope eye
05-26-2013, 07:40 PM
What? I just sat down to have some popcorn and enjoy the discussion.

What ever happened to I am going to abstain from posting on these threads, that was short lived. LOL

Spanky

stangfish
05-26-2013, 07:53 PM
I never said anything about popcorn.

fgw_in_fla
05-26-2013, 08:09 PM
What ever happened to I am going to abstain from posting on these threads, that was short lived. LOL

Spanky

I didn't get the memo....
I was wondering why I didn't see any of the "regulars" posting on certain "cyclical" questions....

thomae
05-27-2013, 06:55 AM
Hijack warning.

:focus:

thermaler
05-27-2013, 03:21 PM
The long range shooters always sort their brass by brand and if possible, by lot #'s. They do this for a reason.....consistency. You can bet that if your going to switch from Win brass to a better quality brass such as Hornady, Lapua, or Norma, the POI is going to change along with the pressure of the load.

I can tell you that I load only Lapua or Norma brass for my 6.5x55 Swede. I load these to about 1.5gr over the recommend max for one specific powder and that is what gives me excellent results. I've loaded this in Win brass and I will get at best 3 reloads before I get the magic ring of case head separation. When using Lapua or Norma brass, I will get 15 to 20 reloads each.

That tells you something.

DaveI use them too--don't they have a touch of nickle in the necks to control flow better?

davemuzz
05-27-2013, 05:15 PM
I use them too--don't they have a touch of nickle in the necks to control flow better?

I know nothing about the metal composition of Norma, Lapua, or Winchester brass. But I would think there has to be something in the higher quality brass that makes 'em more expensive (aside from just "more brass") and the fact that they simply last longer.

Perhaps.....if we wait long enough....a really smart reloader will respond....or a metallurgist kind of person.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/davemuzz/popcorn.gif

BillPa
05-27-2013, 11:11 PM
I know nothing about the metal composition of Norma, Lapua, or Winchester brass.

Me nedder. This here might help ....http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/x-ray-spectrometry-of-cartridge-brass/

thermaler
05-27-2013, 11:22 PM
Me nedder. This here might help ....http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/x-ray-spectrometry-of-cartridge-brass/Maybe it is zinc--all I know is there does seem to be a difference between lapua and the rest of them, I'm guessing they are using a slightly different metallurgical formula along with annealing to achieve better longevity/less flow.

eddiesindian
05-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Maybe it is zinc--all I know is there does seem to be a difference between lapua and the rest of them, I'm guessing they are using a slightly different metallurgical formula along with annealing to achieve better longevity/less flow.

roger that.
I purchased LC brass some time back and the longivity of the brass is superb.
Dont have the deep pocket for norma/lapua brass though

IUOE
05-28-2013, 11:09 AM
O
roger that
I purchased LC brass some time back and the longivity of the brass is superb.
Dont have the deep pocket for norma/lapua brass though

Ok, Feel little Silly Asking But What Is LC Brass?

fgw_in_fla
05-28-2013, 11:47 AM
Lake City...
aka Mil Brass leftovers. I believe.

I never used it although there's been tons of it I've seen around the local range....

eddiesindian
05-28-2013, 02:19 PM
yep-..Lake City
defently what the military uses.
and defently stiffer brass.