PDA

View Full Version : Question on changing brass

Pages : 1 [2]

davemuzz
05-28-2013, 03:41 PM
Dont have the deep pocket for norma/lapua brass though

Well, when you shoot the 6.5 Swede, or any caliber that is "tough" on brass, then you begin to do the math. When the junk brass like a Winchester ($.56 each) or Remington ($.54 each) only last 3 reloads (average of $.18 brass cost per shot), while Lapua ($.75 each) or Norma ($.82 each) will get you 20 reloads each (average of $.03925....yes rounded 4-cents cost per shot for brass), Then buying the quality brass such as Norma or Lapua is a no brainer.

Now, if you get the same amount of reloads PLUS the same teeny tiny groups from the Win, Rem AND the Lapua , Norma....then your crazy not to buy the less expensive brass. But that hasn't happen with my 6.5 Swede yet.

Dave

thermaler
05-28-2013, 04:00 PM
Well, when you shoot the 6.5 Swede, or any caliber that is "tough" on brass, then you begin to do the math. When the junk brass like a Winchester ($.56 each) or Remington ($.54 each) only last 3 reloads (average of $.18 brass cost per shot), while Lapua ($.75 each) or Norma ($.82 each) will get you 20 reloads each (average of $.03925....yes rounded 4-cents cost per shot for brass), Then buying the quality brass such as Norma or Lapua is a no brainer.

Now, if you get the same amount of reloads PLUS the same teeny tiny groups from the Win, Rem AND the Lapua , Norma....then your crazy not to buy the less expensive brass. But that hasn't happen with my 6.5 Swede yet.

DaveExactly my thinking--to which I would add to the list: less time resizing/trimming down, less worry about primer and bullet seating consistency and fewer bullets used getting better groupings. Add all that up--and the Lapua/Norma starts looking like a bargain--if you can find it.

Amistoso
07-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Same here, learning!

Amistoso
07-08-2013, 04:52 PM
What? I just sat down to have some popcorn and enjoy the discussion.
Same here, learning!