PDA

View Full Version : 1000yd and 150 SMK (Alarm System)

Pages : [1] 2

eddiesindian
05-25-2013, 03:03 PM
I made this alarm system about 8 months back and have been up gradeing as time goes on to a smaller/portable package. I really wasnt interested in sharing this but I was compelled to due to "subjective' conversations about the 150 SMK,s ability to get out to distance. I got tired of my fellow shooting partners not being positive when calling shots out to 1K so I developed this hit alarm system as I call it. Now, theres no guessing...none what so ever, and I concluded that without a dought...the 150gr SMK along with some RL-15 behind it will in fact smack either targets at 1K, even with a 25-30 mph wind. just gotta adjust accordingly. My shooting buds are sending 168,s at it and hitting with about a 5 moa adj while Im at about 6...not a big deal.(wind dependant)
The large target is a 16"x24" and the smaller is a 8"x6". The ammo can house,s the car alarm control module,batteries,wiring with a toggle on/off switch at the top as to simple turn it on. The box is placed BEHIND the large plate as to not get hit. You can see one of the shock sensors temporaily placed on the ammo can.
The LED/Sirens/ and stand are placed about 50ft away from the plates.
I have 2 magnetic shock sensors that are placed behind either target. I usually place the smaller target about 12 ft away from the larger target. the wiring that reaches the smaller target use,s simple plug in wiring at the ammo can via wiring loom i made. I can have both targets activated If I so wish or just one.
If a rd hits either plate, the sirens start blarring and the LED,s (white and blue) start flashing which can be heard and seen out to 1K. the system is set to reset itself after 30 seconds.
The smaller plate,s a challenge to hit but Im proud to say, that My Savage model 10 mil spec, 1:11.25 twist with HS stock, 5R barrel has hit that smaller plate 3 hits in a row with simple 150gr SMK and RL-15 behind it. while holding about 5MOA for xwinds.
This system along with my Savage rifle has humbeld my shooting buds who (with all due respect) are Remy fans which by the way, havent been able to smack the smaller plate out to 1K...least not yet lololo
FYI.... The scope i use is a simple BSA 6x24x44 tactical which can only be purchased by Midway that I got on sale for 150 bucks.http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x88/eddies880/1Kalarm001_zps5d81a997.jpg

daniel brothers
05-25-2013, 05:34 PM
Great idea... necessity is the mother of invention...

eddiesindian
05-25-2013, 06:52 PM
funny you should say that...lolol Thats one of my favorite sayings.

thermaler
05-25-2013, 10:25 PM
Love it!

glassbeaver
05-26-2013, 01:23 AM
Well played sir

thermaler
05-26-2013, 04:05 AM
Assuming 308? Interesting discussion on transonic stability and twist for 168: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363822

fgw_in_fla
05-26-2013, 10:29 AM
Cool idea.
Especially when it saves shoe leather.
Never underestimate the ingenuity of the American shooter....

eddiesindian
05-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Assuming 308? Interesting discussion on transonic stability and twist for 168: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363822

2 of my shooting partners use 168,s. one uses 168a-max and the other 168smk. ones uses tac and the other rl-15. theres speeds are floating at about 2700-ish..I know the one that uses rl-15 and 168smk is punching nice clean holes out to 1k with no key holes, but not sure about the a-max.
thruth be known, Ive never seen/had an issue with transonic issues here. maybe at lower elevation but not at the 4400ft that were at.
both my shooting partners that use the 168,s have been hitting the bigger plate withy success.

eddiesindian
05-26-2013, 04:57 PM
Cool idea.
Especially when it saves shoe leather.
Never underestimate the ingenuity of the American shooter....

exactly....thats alot of walking.
some say i went over board, some think its funny. one things for sure though. when the shooter hits my hit alarm system and all the bells and whistles go off, the expression on there face shows accomplishment. all that time spent reloading/ballistic calculation/practicing body to firearm stablitly etc.....has just paid off.

eddiesindian
05-26-2013, 05:07 PM
Im piecing together another one thats gonna be made of much stouter steel. Its gonna consist of a 24"x24" AR500 steel plate thats gonna be placed just a bit under 1700yds.
One of my close friends owns/shots and 50 cal Armalite and is pretty damm accurate with it out to that distance.
This alarm sysen wont have the sirens but wil have bigger/briter LED lites that are used on ambulance,s. The control module thta I use has different 12v outputs when activated that not only activate the LED,s but will lite a "C-Rocket sized motor" so when he hits the plate, its gonna launch the rocket as well.......hows that for funlolololol

thermaler
05-26-2013, 06:47 PM
Why not just use exploding targets?

stangfish
05-26-2013, 07:06 PM
If you like it i like it. I would like to shot that 50 bmg.

eddiesindian
05-26-2013, 07:15 PM
Why not just use exploding targets?

The 1000yd mark takes its toll on velocity of the projectile. In order to lite up exploding targets like the likes of Tannerite and such, you need the kenetic energy of a projectile thats pushing at least 2700. The projectiles have lost so much speed and energy at 1K that they barely put a dent on the 1/4" thick steel plate where as burning right thru it at 200yds.
Ive gone down the exploding target venture 15yrs ago and found out quickly that it gets pretty dam pricey to hear the thick/loud boom of a Tannerite going off...sure is awesome and fun but my pocket didnt think so.
Ive seen a gallon milk jug fill,d and capd, with water be hit by a 308 at 700yds. only to find that the jug did not infact explode and the projectile was inside of the milk jug intact.....wow

thermaler
05-26-2013, 08:11 PM
Didn't know that's what it took to set off the tannerite--but was also thinking maybe something that set off a colored smoke plume.

eddiesindian
05-27-2013, 11:28 AM
Didn't know that's what it took to set off the tannerite--but was also thinking maybe something that set off a colored smoke plume.

now thats a great idea!........

thermaler
05-27-2013, 01:21 PM
now thats a great idea!........It happens occasionally with me--but not often. ; ) Stands to reason that dust plumes are easy to spot from far off-- a reactive target that set off colored smoke??

thermaler
05-27-2013, 01:27 PM
My idea--you invent it, we'll patent it and become millionaires, buy out the ammo manufacturers so we never run out of ammo again and retire to the Riviera and be waited on by hot foreign babes. You in?

eddiesindian
05-27-2013, 04:20 PM
bam....dun!

eddiesindian
05-27-2013, 04:47 PM
If you like it i like it. I would like to shot that 50 bmg.

Its always a pleasure watching him send that much democracy down range. He,s let me shot it several times and once you get used to the "slight" recoil, the things a beast.
Ill give him one thing.....he purchased tons of pull,d powder and projectiles/tooling way before he purchased his Armaltie 50

eddiesindian
05-27-2013, 10:49 PM
I went long distance this last sunday and was able to smack the large plate but it turned out to be a chore. the wind was so much calmer than what were used to here in southwest tx. and I found myself having to rethink my final choice on windage adjustment. Man, figuring out wind is like trying to figure out a woman.:mad: