PDA

View Full Version : barrel nut won't fit!

mytwo60
01-28-2010, 11:36 PM
So I was all excited because I got my new barrel today. I removed the old barrel and started threading in the barrel nut (came off original rifle) and it went about third of the way down and stopped.
What the heck! So I took the barrel nut off and screwed in the action to see if it fits and it does without any problems.

So does this mean my old "factory" savage barrel threads are smaller? Or is the new barrel (Shilen) threads bigger? My next step is to order another barrel nut or do you think the new barrel threads are off?

And by the way, the barrel nut fits fine with the old barrel.

sinman
01-28-2010, 11:48 PM
call shilen and tell them they cut the threads wrong on the barrel, thats the best way, if you can get it on you might be able to work it with lapping compound.

geargrinder
01-29-2010, 12:31 AM
Check the inside of the nut.

Sometimes the front of the nut has a small amount of threads that are just enough to screw things up. Stainless nuts don't seem to have the problem. You can double check by trying to start your nut on backwards.

If that's the case, just dremel the front out.

Here's a picture of the offending nuts on each side of a stainless.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee269/geargrinder123/S8000896.jpg

mytwo60
01-29-2010, 02:11 AM
I do not have a stainless nut but the design is the same as the stainless. I'm trying to determine if the nut or new barrel is bad. I hate to return the barrel and have to wait again.

So would it be safe to say that since the new barrel threads perfect in the action that the nut would be the problem? I noticed that when threading the nut back to the old barrel it doesn't appear to be a "snug" fit but has some play in it. Makes me wonder if the threading on the old barrel is coarser or not as deep.

Oh and I threaded the nut in backwards and it only went in about 5 threads.

Thanks for the inputs so far.

sharpshooter
01-29-2010, 03:10 AM
Measure the diameter of the threads on both barrels. Chances are that the thread on the new barrel has a sharper crest than the old. It could be as simple as sliding a file over the sharp threads to reduce the diameter a few thousandths.

358Hammer
01-29-2010, 11:09 AM
Every one of my Benchmark barrels are cut with a class 3 thread. Half the nuts I have will not fit so I just chuck the barrel in a lathe and take a little off and they work great.

Neal

fatrack
01-29-2010, 12:45 PM
Hey Neal,

Any advice for a guy with a Benchmark barrel who doesn't own a lathe?

laportecharlie
01-29-2010, 12:47 PM
See Post #4 above.

mytwo60
01-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Measure the diameter of the threads on both barrels. Chances are that the thread on the new barrel has a sharper crest than the old. It could be as simple as sliding a file over the sharp threads to reduce the diameter a few thousandths.

Thanks for the tip. I got it to thread now. Woohoo!