PDA

View Full Version : Went varmint ing yesterday and...

Jack Rustle
05-24-2013, 09:19 AM
My old shooting and golfing buddy came along (he is a lifelong experienced hunter) with his 10/22. We have done this before with one hitch, this time I brought out my 204 Ruger, not a Savage but a Ruger #1 that I rebarrelled with a Ruger takeoff. To back up a little I took in trade a Savage 12FV 204 a couple years ago and it sold me on the cartridge as to its lethality and ease of finding 1/2 moa loadings. I replaced that barrel with a 22/250 fast twist barrel from McGowen and am not going back. I still have the 204 barrel and now am going to find a way to get it back on an action. Ron is convinced he needs one of these so I shall like provide him with a list of Savage Rifles that this barrel will fit. He will hunt down a Savage rifle if I can give him a list, or some idea what to look for. Is there such a thing out there? Thanks for any help.

stomp442
05-24-2013, 09:57 AM
Only thing you really need to look for is shank size, depending on what the shank size is on that .204 barrel. If its a standard shank then pretty much any savage or stevens action will do preferably a short action. If its a large shank then you will need a target action. about the only oher thing to look for is the correct bolt head but thats easy to get and change out if need be.