PDA

View Full Version : Shilen savage factory replacement barrel

GSXR
05-23-2013, 09:57 PM
Have a savage 10pc, older law enforcement model thats not threaded for a muzzle brake. Has digital cammo accustock and 20 inch barrel. Im a 5 shot half moa shooter with this gun with handloads on a good day. Ive been thinking about changing to a longer barrel for more velocity for use with some heavier bullets. My questions are one can you mate a stainless steel barrel to a carbon steel action. Two my factory barrel has very little throat jump which I like because I can load to the lands with no problem. Whats the throat jump on the shilen savage factory replacement barrel they claim is a direct drop In with no other work needed? Is the throat long on these barrels? Will one of there barrels Improve my current groups or is 1/2 moa as good as to be expected with current action, stock and bolt etc. Gun shoots good now, last thing i want to do Is spend money on a new barrel and gain nothing.

thomae
05-24-2013, 08:00 AM
My questions are one can you mate a stainless steel barrel to a carbon steel action.
Yes, but I would use some anti-seize grease on the barrel threads.

As for your other questions, I'll let people smarter than I chime in.

dolomite_supafly
05-24-2013, 08:26 AM
I have no idea what the throat is like but I will ask, have you tried jumping the bullet? The reason I ask is I always loaded to the lands thinking that was best. And it served me well with 1/2" groups at 100 yards. Then one day I decided to shoot some rounds I had loaded for an AR to magazine length. I was rewarded with a measured 7 shot group of .38" center to center. These loads were idtentical to those for the savage except they were loaded to magazine length. The bullet was the same, the powder and the powder charge was the same. I would shoot 10 shots then remove the worst 3 to remove shooter error from the equation.

I am not sure how much prep work you do and I am not trying to tell you what to do but here are a few things I do when I am looking for the absolutely best accuracy I can.

I would try uniforming your flash holes in your brass if you don't already. It is cheap, easy and a one time thing. That gave me some gains as well.

Something else that improved my vertical stringing immensely is seperating bullets into lots of the same bearing length. I would use two bullet comparators on a caliper to measure how long the bearing lengths are. The longer they are the more friction and the higher the pressures. This step gave me .1" improvements. And you would be surpised how much variation there is within the same lot of bullets.

And finally don't clean your barrel until accuracy drops off. I had a barrel that shot miserably when cleaned. But after a few dozens shots the groups shrunk. And it was still shooting great at 600 rounds down the "dirty" barrel.

davemuzz
05-24-2013, 11:37 AM
GSXR, Your rifle can't be all that old if it has an accustock. Those just came out....what?...a bit over a year ago?? Also, you don't state if your's is a .308 or a .223 caliber. In addition, do you shoot strictly factory loads or do you reload? And finally, if you do reload, have you measured your chamber freeborn with each type of bullet that you have tried?

Dave

GSXR
05-25-2013, 12:08 AM
Bought rifle end of 2010 and yes its an accustock, law enforcement model, digital camo stock .308. the same model now comes with a threaded barrel for a break, has wedge and all, trust me i know what weapon I have. Id post pics if I could figure out how lol. I do not weigh my bullets or seperate on lenghts, i due use a sinclair objive guage and calipers, I deburr flash holes, trim cases all to the same length and neck size only till they wont chamber. I use a lee collet die and get .002 or less neck runout. My load is 42.5grns imr 4064, 175 matchkings about .010 off the lands. Ive tried a few others like 168 hornadys and 178 amax but none seem to give the consistency the sierras do. Guns a liget 5 shot 1/2 moa gun if i due my part. Gun has a 20 inch tube and want to get velocity up for some heavier bullets, 20 inch tube really limits you to 190s and lighter, just cant get the speed.

davemuzz
05-25-2013, 08:00 AM
Have you ever tried Varget? Varget and a .308 go together very well. I've tried piles of different powders for the .308 and have always came back to Varget.

FWIW

Dave

GSXR
05-25-2013, 07:44 PM
l do have some varget, didnt do real well with the hornady 168 bthp but I will when i have time try it with my sierras, both are excellent powders just seems my rifle prefers the 4064

dolomite_supafly
05-26-2013, 05:18 AM
Try another bullet. I shot one of my smallest groups ever with Hornady bullets then could never get close again. I have spoke to several people who shoot tiny groups and they avoid Hornady. I use Sierra almost exclusively when shooting tiny groups.

stangfish
05-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Half MOA aint bad for a factory rifle. I have shot my best groups with flat based hunting bullets at 100 yds. You never showed your group. Tight groups require zero parralax in you scope for your range. I have seen guys that use it for focus but never even knew what parralax adjustment really was until it was shown to them. Have you experimented with ogive length. Sometimes SMK's like .020 jump or more. Neck Tension/Hardness are things to look at. I like your load. you coyuld move up or down .2 of a grain. Just throwing some **** out there.

Fish

GSXR
05-26-2013, 05:13 PM
How do you post pictures?

thomae
05-27-2013, 07:01 AM
Look in the Help and FAQs board. There's a sticky, probably the 4th one from the beginning.

Dennis
05-27-2013, 10:07 PM
175 smk's with Varget should be the ticket. They work in all of my 308's. Don't be scared to jump them .030.

Beekeeper
06-01-2013, 03:21 AM
Count me in as another fan of Varget and Sierra. My 20" .308 Savage like this combo.

Smokey262
06-01-2013, 07:34 AM
You cannot predict that a new barrel will give you better accuracy than what you have now. It might be better. It might be the same, or even worse.

nastynatesfish
06-14-2013, 04:03 PM
If your looking for different powder in the 308 try some accurate 2520 or my favorite H4895. I've ran varget R15,TAC and finally settle on 4895

nastynatesfish
06-16-2013, 01:05 PM
How do you post pictures?
I use photo bucket and just copy the image link. Makes it easy