PDA

View Full Version : Model 25: Magazine .17 hornet...... 3 or 4 rounds ?

JLShipley
05-23-2013, 09:35 AM
I can't load 4 rounds in my magazine, I can chamber the 1st round and fire round, but when I try and pull bolt back it appears to hang up on 2nd round, I have to pull Mag. to eject 1st round, put Mag. back in with only 3 rounds and it works fine?
Also have problems at times with bolt claw holding onto shell, when I'm going to chamber a new round,?
Anyone having these problems?

davemuzz
05-23-2013, 11:55 AM
No. I can put 4 rounds in my magazine just fine. And it loads very easy with Hornady bullets. At times the berger's give me a hard time when the bullet is entering the chamber. I think....but have not really looked hard at this, but I think what is happening is the berger bullet may be causing the case to hang on the beginning of the chamber. But for now that's just a SWAG.

Seems very odd to me that you have three magazines that will not hold 4 rounds.

I'd call Sabage....I mean Savage and ask 'em what's up wit dat.

Dave

JLShipley
05-23-2013, 12:20 PM
No. I can put 4 rounds in my magazine just fine. And it loads very easy with Hornady bullets. At times the berger's give me a hard time when the bullet is entering the chamber. I think....but have not really looked hard at this, but I think what is happening is the berger bullet may be causing the case to hang on the beginning of the chamber. But for now that's just a SWAG.

Seems very odd to me that you have three magazines that will not hold 4 rounds.

I'd call Sabage....I mean Savage and ask 'em what's up wit dat.

Dave

Thanks for getting back, I don't understand either, this is with factory loads, 20 V-max and reloads, can chamber 1st rd., but bolt gets stuck when I try and chamber next rd...have to release magazine to eject 1st rd., and reinsert magazine and it's fine for the remaining 3 rounds.

davemuzz
05-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Just wondering if it's because the magazines are so new and the spring tension is always tight on new mag's that they need some time for that initial tightness to get itself out of it's "system"? I dunno...maybe that's a bit far flung. If it's happening to all three magazines, it may have something to say about how.....for lack of using a better description.....how tight your mag release is holding the mag against the bolt. Perhaps at the factory the mag release button is not to specs and is keeping your mags to close to the bolt? Thus, your first cartridge is giving you fits, but after that your mag spring is relieved enough to let the next 3 work fine.

Sounds like a send it back.

Dave

JLShipley
05-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Just wondering if it's because the magazines are so new and the spring tension is always tight on new mag's that they need some time for that initial tightness to get itself out of it's "system"? I dunno...maybe that's a bit far flung. If it's happening to all three magazines, it may have something to say about how.....for lack of using a better description.....how tight your mag release is holding the mag against the bolt. Perhaps at the factory the mag release button is not to specs and is keeping your mags to close to the bolt? Thus, your first cartridge is giving you fits, but after that your mag spring is relieved enough to let the next 3 work fine.

Sounds like a send it back.

Dave

Called them, they want the whole gun back,(2nd time).they want to see why 4 won't work, but 3 do....
You would of thought they would of check gun out completely before sending it back to me the last time. Having Gunsmith/ Dealer check out 1st make sure all bases covered. (Without fixing problem)
That way at least I know it's not me....

JLShipley
05-28-2013, 04:00 PM
Called them, they want the whole gun back,(2nd time).they want to see why 4 won't work, but 3 do....
You would of thought they would of check gun out completely before sending it back to me the last time. Having Gunsmith/ Dealer check out 1st make sure all bases covered. (Without fixing problem)
That way at least I know it's not me....

Took gun into Dealer/Gunsmith, the original magazine is defective, two other spare Mag's work fine, as far as extractor claw not extracting rounds at times, it is the way I was chambered the rounds at the range, I was doing it to easy, per G/S and Savage, with the Model 25 you have to be a little more deliberate cambering rounds, I guess I used to my Remington's. Well have to go to the range and see if it's OK, Called Savage, they want defective Magazine, well send back new one.....
JS

davemuzz
05-28-2013, 05:21 PM
It's funny that you mention chambering the rounds to easy. Last week at our gun club we had a troop of Scouts shooting 22's at our 22 Range, and then we would ship 'em down to the trap range for some shotgun time. Well, one of the kids was having a tough time getting a bolt gun to extract. The one guy who essentially runs the program took the gun, and got the groups attention and said..."Hey guys and gals" (yes.....Gal's are in this troop) "When your shooting a bolt gun, these bolt rifles work a lot better if you treat 'em .....with all due respect.....like a war rifle." "Don't beat 'em up, but open that bolt using three stiff fingers, pull that bolt back hard with three stiff fingers, pull it forward and close it with the same. You will find the rifle works much better that way and it will eject spent rounds and chamber new rounds without a whimper."

I just found it amusing that this guy, who is about 6'8" tall, all of 360-lbs, was speaking to them like a drill sergeant!! The kids took the advice and no one had anymore bolt action problems. Semi-auto or single shot....different matters.

Dave