PDA

View Full Version : 22 LR ammo

Monkeymaster
05-22-2013, 06:41 PM
Hello,
Does anyone know the REAL reason why the stores are not getting 22 LR back in to restock ?
I understand the run to the store and clean them out attitude when the elite polititions were gathered to determine the 2nd amendments fate for the law abiding people, but that has been over for a while now.
I ask several stores when I am in there, and they do not have any idea to when they will receive some.
Do the ammo manufactures only run batches of rimfire ammo once or twice a year?
I would have thought they would be making 22 LR 24/7 year round ?
Frustrated !
Frustrated !!
Frustrated !!!
Thanks for letting me vent.
PS I see 17 hmr at the same stores that do not have 22 LR, and for the same price as before all this crap started.
Thanks

JCalhoun
05-22-2013, 11:58 PM
Not sure.

Some ammo makers like CCI only make rimfire ammo. Imported .22lr such as SK, RWS, Eley and Wolf is also hard to find so I doubt it's the ammo makers only making small batches of it.

J.Baker
05-23-2013, 02:40 AM
It's simple, the same morons who were doing all the panic buying before are still panic buying now. It doesn't help when online retailers such as Powder Valley deliberately post on FaceBook and certain forums that, "Hey, we'll be getting an order of Brand X powder or Brand Y primers in tomorrow" as then everyone rushes to their site in a panic to order it before it's gone and guess what....it sells out again in just a few hours. PV announced on FB the other day that they just received in 10 million Tulu primers and within an hour they were gone. I've noticed some smaller local shops who have a FaceBook presence seem to be doing the same thing, while others are taking what ammunition they get in and listing it online for 3x the price rather than putting it out on their shelves, or they're hiding it all in the back and only making it available to their customers when they purchase a gun.

Monkeymaster
05-25-2013, 08:50 AM
Well,
I understand people are still buying up what ever they find, however, the stores are not even getting 22 LR in.
Not since late January, early Feburary, so I am told.
They have not seen a shipment for around 4 months now.
??????????????????????????????/

stangfish
05-25-2013, 08:56 AM
Cheaper Than Dirt has some cci 22lr for 1$ a round. Rumor has it these guys have buyers purchasing ammo from retail outlets and reselling it.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM-0762

bootsmcguire
05-25-2013, 12:36 PM
Cheaper Than Dirt has some cci 22lr for 1$ a round. Rumor has it these guys have buyers purchasing ammo from retail outlets and reselling it.

I love how it says "Our Low Price". LOL.

thomae
05-25-2013, 12:52 PM
Hmmm....and the CCI at $1 per round is not even Green Tag.

I just did some research.

Below is a photo of the guy who has been buying up all the .22LR in the USA for the past two years. He told me he thought it was his patriotic duty to support the ammo manufacturers.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVlmrq9JEa4LeS_nZQUiqT2fCIyRoHf uTzqXYSTQDviBQ709YJ

Balljoint
05-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Just ordered two one pound containers from powder valley price was $18.05 each then HasMat of $27.50 (wish Cabela's had in stock just a truck ride for me) will not ship till Early JUNE.

geargrinder
05-25-2013, 01:59 PM

They were also selling pmags for $99 each. I'll never buy there again.

CGcook
05-28-2013, 04:43 PM
Its a combination of things causeing the 22lr shortage. The panic buyers going to store to buy up and hoard their 50k round stash because the zombie apocolypse is coming. Then there is simple economics answer. Ever since Obama took office gun ownership has gone thru the roof. Everyone and their brother started getting guns cause their was the panic that he the devil and gonna take away your guns. Which in reality will never happen. 22lr being such a cheap round to shoot alot of people buy atleat 1 22lr firearm. So the demand for ammo goes up, prior to all that happening there were still the hoarders and such building up these rediculious ammo stashes. But there was enough in the warehouses so the ammo manufactures could get away with 65-75% production and keep the shelve full. Then came the panic era and everyone started buying guns and the panic ensued and everyone went crazy. The ammo manufactures are at 100% slowly making their way back up to building up stocks to fill the demand for ammo. Soon alot of the ammo hoarders will start to run out of money and slow down their buying and the ammo supply will build back up in the warehouses and the shelve will start filling again. Then hopefully a**holes that are trying to sell bulk boxes for 500% mark up will get screwed and take a hugh hit. Its simple economics the supply is low and the demand is high. Just like the stock market. Hold off on your purchases and wait a few months granted it may take till next summer but the supply will be back.

03mossy
05-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Its a combination of things causeing the 22lr shortage. The panic buyers going to store to buy up and hoard their 50k round stash because the zombie apocolypse is coming. Then there is simple economics answer. Ever since Obama took office gun ownership has gone thru the roof. Everyone and their brother started getting guns cause their was the panic that he the devil and gonna take away your guns. Which in reality will never happen. 22lr being such a cheap round to shoot alot of people buy atleat 1 22lr firearm. So the demand for ammo goes up, prior to all that happening there were still the hoarders and such building up these rediculious ammo stashes. But there was enough in the warehouses so the ammo manufactures could get away with 65-75% production and keep the shelve full. Then came the panic era and everyone started buying guns and the panic ensued and everyone went crazy. The ammo manufactures are at 100% slowly making their way back up to building up stocks to fill the demand for ammo. Soon alot of the ammo hoarders will start to run out of money and slow down their buying and the ammo supply will build back up in the warehouses and the shelve will start filling again. Then hopefully a**holes that are trying to sell bulk boxes for 500% mark up will get screwed and take a hugh hit. Its simple economics the supply is low and the demand is high. Just like the stock market. Hold off on your purchases and wait a few months granted it may take till next summer but the supply will be back.

Nailed it!!

NOKNOT
06-04-2013, 10:10 PM
Maybe things will get better soon. The gun shop here has had 22lr the last couple of weeks.

GaryB
06-04-2013, 10:17 PM
I asked the lady at Walmart today if they ever get in any shipments of 22 LR ammo and she said they got a shipment in last Friday. It was sold by Saturday. The insanity continues!

cheapshot
06-06-2013, 11:56 AM
My local Dicks has maybe 50 boxes of it in stock. I own one savage 22lr, its for my girls to shoot, and for the past few months I have been begging and borrowing from buddies for them to be able to shoot. I bought 3 boxes the other day, the limit, and thought about going back the next day for more but realized I didn't need that many. I would only be adding to the madness.

NOKNOT
06-06-2013, 01:57 PM
I was at the gun shop today, they had several different brands of 22lr ammo and were adding to the shelf while I was standing there. I do believe the supply is starting to pick up a little. Walmart I think is backing the Obama policy and could care less if they have any ammo or not. Of course thats just my opinion. The problem now is, are the stores prices high because the manufactures have increased their price or are the stores just raising their prices because they can?

lee1000
06-16-2013, 09:44 PM
You've got to get to Walmart early in the morning (6:30 to 7:30). I watch for them to check in ammo using the Android Walmart app the night before and then wake up early to get it. To use the app you and website below you have to watch them check it at night when they unload the trucks. I was actually able to buy a brick of Remington Golden Bullets and 100 rounds of Remington UMC 9mm. I got the very last of this stuff and I was there at 7:30 am.

The lady who checked me out said that for the most part is was the same guys buying up the ammo.

You can also check the Walmart ammo listings here. It's not 100% accurate due to WM inventory fluctuations but when used in conjunction with the smart phone app it's not bad.
http://ammo-can.net/