PDA

View Full Version : Help me age an inherited gun

Pages : [1] 2

Yehosha
05-22-2013, 02:47 AM
Just inherited a Savage Model 110 30-06 with the serial number 5**16. How old do you think this gun is? How much do you think it's worth? It's in great condition. I'm definitely keeping it, just curious about it's age and value. Thanks for your help.

dolomite_supafly
05-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Value wise I see older 110's in pawn shops regularly for under $250. Person to person value probably $300 but not much more.

J.Baker
05-22-2013, 04:31 PM
Age would be between 1958 and 1968 given the S/N has no letter prefix.

Yehosha
05-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Age would be between 1958 and 1968 given the S/N has no letter prefix.Is there anyway to narrow that down to the exact year?

J.Baker
05-22-2013, 05:10 PM
Well, I had one that was S/N 522XX which had a date stamp of 1966. If you look on the barrel just forward of the nut (might have to pull the barreled action out of the stock) there should be a stamp that has a letter and number inside a circle. The letter will indicate the year it was manufactured.

J = 1958
K = 1959
L = 1960
M = 1961
N = 1962
P = 1963
R = 1964
S = 1965
T = 1966
U = 1967
V = 1968
W = 1969

1969 was the last year the date code stamp was used.

PKT1106
05-22-2013, 05:37 PM
Did you try to email Savage?

Yehosha
05-22-2013, 06:26 PM
Well, I had one that was S/N 522XX which had a date stamp of 1966. If you look on the barrel just forward of the nut (might have to pull the barreled action out of the stock) there should be a stamp that has a letter and number inside a circle. The letter will indicate the year it was manufactured.

M = 1961
N = 1962
P = 1963
R = 1964
S = 1965
T = 1966
U = 1967
V = 1968
W = 1969

1969 was the last year the date code stamp was used.
Mine has an S, so that would make it 1965. Thank you!

So was dolomite correct in his $300 value assessment?

Did you try to email Savage?
Nope I figured they would be very slow in their reply. I'll probably do it just to confirm the date.

Yehosha
05-22-2013, 06:34 PM
Also would anyone know of a place to locate a manual for this rifle? Would a curren manual work or would I need an older one. I basically need instructions for tear down and cleaning, and also some help on loading the gun, since I've never shot a top-loading rifle before.

dolomite_supafly
05-22-2013, 06:48 PM
To Load:
Set the cartridge on top of the internal magazine.
Press down until it snaps into place.
Repeat.

To remove bolt:
Clear the weapon of all ammunition
Open bolt and pull to the rear
Pull trigger and hold
Press down on lever on the right side of the action
Remove bolt

To put the gun on safe it should be moved all the way back and this also locks the bolt. 1/2 way forward allows the bolt to be opened while the gun is still on safe. All the way forward allows the gun to be fired.

To clean just wipe down the bolt with a slightly oiled rag and run a brush through the bore followed by a oil soaked patch. Wipe down the outside of the gun with the same oily rag.

GaryB
05-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Here is a link to a manual.
http://stevespages.com/pdf/savage_centerfire.pdf

You might contact Savage though and see if they could send you one.

Gary

Yehosha
05-22-2013, 07:09 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. Got pointed your direction by a guy on calguns and he was right, you guys are super helpful. :)

ww1rdb
05-22-2013, 07:32 PM
has been my luck to find out that When the last bunch bought them they will not srevice or sell parts for anything made before the aquired the company..believe the serial numbers starting with an F are as far back as they go..ok now I have questions,..I have bene a Savage nut for a long time..My wife bought me one in 1971 so I could hunt...we were just married..I bought the Savage because as far as I could find they were the only ones who made a "lefty" without spending for a custom made..

ok now for questions..I currantly have 5 or 6 Savage rifles..lets talk barrel nuts..mine made in 71 has the round with no indentions but all the rest have the nuts with indentions..now I have been reading and some try and say the newer ones have the smooth but all older models have smooth..well I talked my brother into a Savage an we found what we thought a good deal..my first os a Series "H" if I remember right and his is a "J" as is my second one..my "J" has notches and his has smooth...

well turns out it wasnt such a good deal..the stock was a cheap Ramline..looks good but very noisey..ok then second problem we found was the recoil lug is bent..never seen that in any of the ones I own...any ideas?...

anyway he is thinking on a different stock and a new recoil lug and then pillar bedding..so we are thinking of trying to find some place who sells Savage parts to purchase a notched barrel nut,,they make a tool for the smooth but think the one I found was like $50..

would be interested in your comments..I am thinking on changing mine out also..there used to be a place I think in Florida that had bought all the new/old stock for the older guns..but I have an idea Savage was still making them and selling through this outfit..I was told at savage it was a consumer suing thing and they didnt want to be on the hook for the guns they didnt make..now being a Lefty I cant buy any more new guns as they no long make the clip fed guns in left hand...have heard the Axis is junk...never fired one but the trigger pull was a night mare...I still have the original manual that came with mine and it has 4 adjustments that make it as good as any trigger I have ever used...anyway I am new to this site so forgive me if all of this stuff has been covered..ww1rdb

JCalhoun
05-23-2013, 12:27 AM
I have found older owners manuals on ebay and gunbroker before.

ww1rdb
05-23-2013, 11:41 AM
I have found older owners manuals on ebay and gunbroker before.

yes in fact I picked up an extra on ebay...not sure if it has gone or not but was one for 9.95 just the other day..good info for adjusting trigger..

J.Baker
05-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Emailing Savage will get you nowhere due to the age. They have no data/info on any models made prior to 1995.

ww1rdb
05-23-2013, 01:37 PM
so right Mr. Furious...I have tried and they wouldn't even sell me parts for mine...was told it was due to law suits and liability..really sucks but that is how it is..I would love to find a way to date some of my older ones(pre-accutrigger)...only have one new enought to have I think a "G" in front of the number..

thomae
05-23-2013, 02:02 PM
There is a gentleman in Mass. Who has information on older savages...if you mail him a letter with a SASE, he will reply with as much (or as little) information as he has.

I'll try to look up the address...in the meanwhile, perhaps someone else can remember...

ww1rdb
05-23-2013, 03:49 PM
There is a gentleman in Mass. Who has information on older savages...if you mail him a letter with a SASE, he will reply with as much (or as little) information as he has.

I'll try to look up the address...in the meanwhile, perhaps someone else can remember...

I would surely appreciate that info if you find it...thanks

thomae
05-23-2013, 08:39 PM
His name and address are:

John Callaghan
PO Box 82
Southhampton, MA 01073

I got his name from Savage Customer service.
I wrote him a nice letter, told him where I got his name and address, gave him as much information about the rifle as I could, and told him that I really appreciated the service he provided. I threw in a few extra stamps for good measure.
He got back to me a couple of weeks later with an approximate manufacturing date.
Good luck.

J.Baker
05-24-2013, 03:17 AM
John doesn't do it for free..

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?20849-Lettering-a-vintage-Savage-firearm