PDA

View Full Version : Chamber scratched

wihillbilly
05-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Anyone have a problem with the chamber on their newer savage rifles having very rough chambers to the point of hurting the brass? Ill put up a picture when I Get done with work. But the 308 model 10 fcp-sr and the 338 lapua both do it. In running lapua brass in the 338 and Norma in the 308. Thanks guys!

fgw_in_fla
05-21-2013, 07:43 PM
Shotgun bore mop & polishing compound. Polish it up & clean it out thoroughly. I had to do it to a brand new Axis I bought last year. Steel wool wrapped around a bore mop of brush works good too.

This is, of course, pending it is a rough, scratchy chamber.....

seanhagerty
05-21-2013, 08:08 PM
What frank said. Should clean it up in short order.

stangfish
05-21-2013, 08:17 PM
I like a chamber brush with some scothchbright wrapped around it with some polishing compound mixed in for the mess.

fgw_in_fla
05-22-2013, 03:43 PM
I like a chamber brush with some scothchbright wrapped around it with some polishing compound mixed in for the mess.

SCOTCHBRITE?!?!?!????
Did I ever tell you about the time I ruined a $8000 piece of specially coated glass using Scotchbrite? It had some kind of melted goop on it & I figured - hard to remove? use something a little abrasive...
Then the guy told me about the coating on the glass.

I'm scared of Scotchbrite. Only used in extreme situations that're very rough & of the non-glass / silica variety.

stangfish
05-22-2013, 04:31 PM
LOL OK, Glass, Coatings, Butter!?!?!?!?! Most of my barrels are harder than 1018. For what it is worth most chambers are not a 2 rms.